close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

frayed line

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by starcraft, Oct 14, 2005.

1. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

hello site, i have a question. I use a spinning outfit, and my line seems to keep getting frayed which we know means lost fish :mad: Why does this keep happening is it because of the eyes on the rod? Wrong reel and rod combo? I keep having to take alot line off the spool to get to some unfrayed line :p

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

sounds like a bad guide/guides,most likely.check them all.rub a piece of cotton around the inside to see if it hangs up.i've had bad tips do that,and couldn't see or feel the bad spot,but some of the insert had been worn/chipped out.could also just be worn from wear,which will cut grooves into some guide material.

3. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

How old is the line? Is it in direct sunlight when stored? What kind of line is it?

4. I agree you should check the guides thoroughly as Misfit described. But sometimes, we are guilty of using the wrong line for a certain presentation. Sometimes the line weight is all wrong. I have been guilty of this before as well.

Spinning tackle is notorious for line twist. If your line is old it can maintain twist better than new line. It's called memory. Some line has little memory and some lines have a lot.

If you are using certain presentations like a roostertail or a softjerkbait, always use a ball bearing swivel to reduce twist which can weaken the line in spots causing break-offs.

Eric

5. I've seen the roller on the bail of the reel cause bad spots on the line
    hope you find the problem
    geowol

6. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

the line i am using is spiderline super mono xxx, 4lb test line.

7. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

the line i am using is spiderline super mono xxx, 4lb test line. Mostly used for slip floats. The roller of the bail is where the line rows on right?

8. I would check the guides and bail roller and if they are fine, check the edge if the spool.

9. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

Another good way to check for guide damage that may be nearly invisible to the naked eye is to run a strip of panty hose through the guides. It will catch on even the smallest irregularity.

10. :D Why Jim I didn't know you wore panty hose.

All kidding aside panty hose or nylons work great for this. Just make sure your lady that donates them is done with them. I grabbed a good pair once
    for this task and had to go to store and buy a replacement.

Picture a six foot 300 + pound guy with a six day growth of beard purchasing
    aforementioned item.

11. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

those are all great ideas thanks guys :) Thats whats makes this site great always something new to learn. I will try the pantys to see if the eyes are bad. Thanks!!!!