Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from Frankfort MI, spent a few days chasing King Salmon. I was there with my brother and his buddies; this is a trip they take pretty frequently, it was my first real experience with Salmon.
Day one:
After a quick stop at camp we went to the Coast Guard Pier and heaved some Little Cleo’s, KO Wobblers, Krocadiles and various other spoons into Betsie Bay and we got nothing, when it got dark we switched to glow in the dark versions (we used a camera flash to make the spoons glow) and still we got nothing;

Day two:
At 0-dark thirty AM we were back at the pier, it was windy as all get out; we caught nothing.
Our campsite neighbor told us he could take two of us out on his boat that night; I was the new guy in our group, so the guys let me go. The wind was gone by the time we hit the lake and it was very calm; We were trolling between 60 - 90 feet deep using glow in the dark spoons. I hauled two kings, we had a couple others but those they didn’t make it to the boat.

Day three:
We went to the low level dam in Benzonia….What a Circus, something you have to see to believe!!! There were incredible numbers of huge salmon running up river with equally incredible numbers of people trying to catch them. Some of these people were fishermen and some of them were just plain screwballs. People running up and down the river fighting fish; drags screaming, people screaming “Fish On”!, line breaking, split shots flying. I ended up with 3 kings, 2 of which were over 20 lbs. Most people were using yarn on a hook, that worked as well as anything.
Normally you have to pay for that kind of entertainment.

Day four:
We chartered a boat in the morning, I believe we went to the herring hole; we trolled glow in the dark spoons, did the camera flash thing again. Six of us boated 10 Kings, the biggest was 23 ½ lbs. Later my brother and I went to the Platte River; was full of sunbathers, we went back to Benzonia. When we got to the dam we decided that we’d just watch the show and didn’t participate that time…very entertaining but not nearly as crazy as the day before.

I ended up with 8 kings, 23 ½ lbs was my biggest, as a group I have no idea how many we got. I had a great time; I’d like to go again.

My first King

A few from the Betsie River

From the charter

·
FISH-ON
215 Posts
Man, I'm glad I saw this post!! I was going to go up to Betsie Bay this wed. I think I might wait a week. Did you see alot of fish being caught in the bay? We usually do pretty good by the coast gaurd. Jigging sweedish pimples. About how many boats were in the bay?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Man, I'm glad I saw this post!! I was going to go up to Betsie Bay this wed. I think I might wait a week. Did you see alot of fish being caught in the bay? We usually do pretty good by the coast gaurd. Jigging sweedish pimples. About how many boats were in the bay?
Good luck on your trip!
When we were there I didn’t see any fish caught off of the pier and I saw a handful caught out in the bay. The river was loaded with kings and we also caught quite a few out in the lake. I’ve heard something about kings stacking up again recently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts