close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Frabil bait bucket -- it stinks.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jennis9, Oct 13, 2008.

1. jennis9

jennis9 Fish against the fish...

we have one of those great bait buckets with the aerator in the lid and styrofoam insert. well we roached the aerator -- so the lid is useless. I'm not sure how to fix it. I will call frabil and see if the recondition them.

the big problem is that the styrofoam is smelly. how would you go about cleaning/treating it without ruining it or any bait we put in in in the future? I have no problem with a little fish smell, comnes with the sport. but I hate to stink up my jeep with it... it's ranky.

i know ... i may be asking to wash away all of the good mojo in the bucket. but I'm fairly confident that it's not our only good luck charm.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Mix up a batch of baking soda and water and fill the bucket. Let it set over night. That should clean it out. You can also use a mixture of bleach and water. Don't mix it to strong though. After you soak it in the bleach and water, soak it in the baking soda/water mix. I've cleaned my boat live well several times and it always works great.

3. Jennis, I have the same bucket. My aerator shorted out in a rainstorm. I sent Frabil a sarcastic email concerning the watertightness of their product (I can't think of a much wetter environment than a minnow bucket). I took the lid apart and sent them the aerator and they sent me an entire new lid assembly at no charge!

To get rid of the stentch, I rinse the nasty stuff out, fill the unit with water (lid off, of course) and let it sit overnight. It might take two days if it is really foul. Sometimes the styrofoam floats out and I have to anchor it down with a rock.