Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
It's all about the doin'
775 Posts
Squirrel huunting was a Saturday morning ritual that I enjoyed for many years prior to marriage and kids.

I miss it and I say every year that I'm going to resume the tradition.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The horrors of cleaning is why I stopped going. Pretty fun to hunt but when you have to clean 12 or more it blows

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Lovin' the Outdoors
756 Posts
Been going out with my kid last few weekends, having a blast. Love the fox squirrels. We got a couple nice big ones opening weekend.

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts
The horrors of cleaning is why I stopped going. Pretty fun to hunt but when you have to clean 12 or more it blows

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Care to share any of the pitfalls or what you thought was bad? What to avoid? I'm going to hopefully be cleaning some here soon. And why do guys like the Foxs better? Just because they are different? Plumper? heh.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I don't think many people prefer fox squirrels over grays except they are usually larger, which means they take longer to cook also, they are much harder to skin. The only thing I like more about fox squirrels is you don't need to be in the woods as early.

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
Fox squirrels are bigger. And generally a little dopey compared to the grays and black squirrels. A fox squirrel prefers to run from danger on the ground. Sometimes making for an easier shot. Grays will run from danger tree top to tree top. I dred skinning squirrels, but have had better luck doing it right after the shot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For eating I prefer grays . In my experiance once in a great while you will kill an old grey squirrel that is tough. With fox squirrels once in a while you will kill a young one that isn't tough

·
The Glove
213 Posts
Where I hunt, I only see fox squirrels, and an occasional red. They are tough to skin. Maybe if I had a better technique. Today I used a hatchet and pliers for the first time and it made things go a little better.

Attachments

·
Fisherman
2,352 Posts
I will agree bout the squirrels & yes any animal is easier to SKIN right after you get it , also you can sell the SKINS of squirrels now so don't let that go to waste !

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
that sounds very interesting. what will lower the value of a skin? I imagine a hole in the fur would skew the value a bit. what would a load of #8 out of say a 20 gauge do to the pelt?

·
O-Z-DOG
390 Posts
Where I hunt, I only see fox squirrels, and an occasional red. They are tough to skin. Maybe if I had a better technique. Today I used a hatchet and pliers for the first time and it made things go a little better.
Skin them right after you shoot them, much easier.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have skinned them two different ways. One way if by taking away some fur under the tail then from the under size cut through the bone but not all the way thur until you cut it off. Cut out away from the tail until you get it about 1" o 1 1/4" wide. Now step on the tail and pull up with the two hind legs and you should be able to pull the top half out of the skin. You then should be able to pull the bottom part of the skin off. Cut off feet, head and tail then gut.

The second way I always did with my dad or my son. I always like doing this under running water. Make a slit in the center of the back Keeping the squirrel wet. Now work a couple of finger in to the slit you both will do this. Make sure you and putting the squirrel under running water. Now both of you will pull and the skin should rip off. Make sure you are still putting the squirrel under running water. You should have the squirrel skinned out cut off feet head and gut. Now when you are wanting to cut up the squirrel keep it under running water. The reason for the water is it helps with hair not getting onto the meat and you will not have as much to pick off. Hope this help out.Nothing better then squirrel and gravy in the morning

1 - 16 of 16 Posts