Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally find a spot in Fostoria and it seems everyone has taken the spot. Anyone have and ideas for me? I'm a bank fisherman and I wouldn't mind getting some leads. I'm also new to the OGF and love it! I'm just bummed the one place I get crappie to hit is taken. I'm most definitely not looking for secrets just ideas where I might have some fun.

Sent from my XT897 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Most of the time the key to fishing upgrounds is to fish with the wind in your face. It's a pain when you're bobber fishing, but it's better odds to be on the bait, thus the fish.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Most of the time the key to fishing upgrounds is to fish with the wind in your face. It's a pain when you're bobber fishing, but it's better odds to be on the bait, thus the fish. Fish move, and theres more than one school of crappies in there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There are schools and schools of crappies in Fostoria #6. If you fish from shore, I would recommend you use a jig with crappie tube and cast and move until you hit a school. Once you find a school with the jig, then use minnows if you want. Sometimes the crappies will bite on minnows more than a jig, and other times they will hit a jig more.There are many tree tops around the reservoir not too far off shore and sooner or later you will find which one is holding crappies.

Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you I spent about 5 hrs out there again today it was kind of a bust again but I wasn't at work. I fished of the pump house again. Many many hits no takers. I found it seems there are a bunch of pine trees under there I kept bringing up branches. Do they dump Christmas trees out there? I then moved over to 1 which I haven't fished yet. Again a bunch of hits and tugs. I left with a small channel cat for the day. I love catching those too. However on a micro rod and 4lb test it scared the hell out of me thinking I had just caught a shark lol. I think this weekend I'll try to get my uncle in his boat and hit 6's tree area. On an off note does anyone have any idea how deep res 1 is? I wish they would take care of some of the algae bloom too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think the state put the tree tops in res#6 and left a stump field on the SW side of the res. when they built it. I averaged about 75 crappies/day with 15% keepers when I fished res #6, but I fished out of a boat. I caught LM and SM bass around the shore line using buzz baits, spinner baits and tubes.

What were you using for bait? I used a 1/16 oz jig and put different color crappie tubes on it. The best color was a red/black and chartreuse tube. I also fished with minnows and it seemed the later it got in August the more the crappies wanted minnows over jigs.

If I got a lot of bites and no fish, I would go to a smaller jig and tube or curly tail grub. That would usually do it.

I'm back to work and won't be home until next July.

Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been using different shads and different jigs on light heads. Both of which various colours. Some days good some days skunkie. But fun either way. I have tried of the tower peninsula before too. I am gonna get out on the SW side this weekend most likely Sunday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts