close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

formula for estimating weight?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by limitgetter, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Does anyone know the formula for estimating a fishes weight? I used to know it but don't exactly remember.It was length times girth times something divided buy something. I just came back from the Quitico park region in Canada and caught a 21 3/4 inch smallie with a 14 inch girth. Did not have a scale with us in the canoe. I'll post a picture when I get them back. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Does anyone know the formula for estimating a fishes weight? It's length times girth divided by something. I can't remember but it was pretty accurate. We were on a canoe trip to the Quitico provencial park and because of load and travel reasons we had to travel light thus no scale.I guess it wouldn't have been that heavy or took up space.Too late now. I did take a seamstress tape to measure fish. The smallie was 21 and 3/4 inches long and had a girth of 14 inches. I have a photo but the file type is to large to load here. Any help would be appreciated. If it is large as I belive it to be I might like to get a reproduction made. Thanks Rick

3. l x gxg / 800 = 5.23 lbs

lxlxg/1200 = 5.52bs

Nice fish!

4. go to www.basspro.com and go to the libray i think its at the bottom of the page then there will be like a box of choices at the bottom and click the fish calculator and put in your measurments.

5. Thanks for the info. I used to know it but couldn't remember. By that calculation the smallie came out to 5.6 lbs. Not as big as a Erie smallie of the same length though. At 213/4 inches those footballs really pack in on in the big lake. Thanks again Rick

6. Go To Meijer In The Fishing Supplies And They Sale A Sticker Ruler That Gives You Lenght And Pounds For All Large Game Fish.i Have One And Its Works Great!