Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lost in the 50's
2,278 Posts
to use an OHM meter.

My NEW trolling motor quit on me and I need to see where the power is stopping at. Wayne let me borrow his OHM meter but I forgot how to use it. Ty at the Motorguide repair in Westerville said to check where the motor plugs in. I don't know how to test the plug with this darn tester.

Anyone want to come over and show me?

614-937-9337 Cell #
Going out to the garage now to try to figure it out. Call me if you can help please.

Powell OH area off Sawmill Rd.

·
Lost in the 50's
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got. I GOT IT.

·
Lost in the 50's
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, here we go.

I took the front dashboard plate of the boat where the trolling motor plugs into.
I put a tester on the trolling motor plug while it was plugged in. NOTHING ON THE FRONT HALF OF THE PLUG.

I put the tester on the back side of the dashboard plate (back of where the plug goes in) and I got 13.5 Volts there. Motorguide is saying that I should have 24 there because the motor is a straight 24V motor.

They are telling me that the batteries are hooked up parallel, (12V).
If they were hooked up in series, 24V then the meter would show 24V.

ALSO,,,,picture this in your heads,

I took the trolling motor plug apart, I took the only 2 wires there, black and red, and touched them to the corresponding wires on the back of the recepticle behind the dashboard plug.
Guess wht???? The motor works then.

I am scared to hook up the batteries 24V. I hate electricity. I hate to change a lightbulb. I HATE shocks. PERIOD.

Yeah, I got the diagram that some of you guys sent to hook them up but I hate shocks.

Jerry (fish4fun) called me and told me the same thing too. Hook them up 24V.

Anyone live close to me want to hook them up for me while I watch? :eek: :eek:

Are you reading this Turkeybasst? (Wayne) Are you going to hook these up for me big boy?

Anyone else? I am off Sawmill Rd north of Hard Rd. in the Powell area.

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
Well, here we go.

I am scared to hook up the batteries 24V. I hate electricity. I hate to change a lightbulb. I HATE shocks. PERIOD.
After your taser incident, I don't blame ya!! :D :D :D :D

·
Lost in the 50's
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After your taser incident, I don't blame ya!! :D :D :D :D
You ding a ling....:) I copied the tazer incident.:eek: I changed the names to "protect the innocent".:p :p

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
You ding a ling....:) I copied the tazer incident.:eek: I changed the names to "protect the innocent".:p :p
I realize that (hence the 4 laughers), but I thought the tie-in was good for this thread and your comment about getting shocked!

·
Lost in the 50's
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought it was extremely funny myself. Good to hear from you Brian. Gotta get together and fish some. Are you going to fish the Crappie tourney May 12th?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts