close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ford, chevy or dodge?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mousejam515, Jul 30, 2004.

1. im kind of looking to buy my self a truck. a small one like a s10 or ranger or dakota. i want 4x4. i was wondering what you guys would think would be best. and what you drive. right now i drive my dads f150.

thanks
    james

2. I'm about ready to get a new small truck and I have narrowed down to either Nissan or Toyota. Everyone I know who have bought new trucks from any of the big 3 in the past couple years are having problems with them. My 96' GMC I've practically rebuilt. I'm holding out to see if the rumor that Saturn is coming out with a truck is true.

3. I bought my ranger brand new in 2002,I've never had a single problem with it,and I do a lot of off-roading,and I tow a boat with it regularly.This is the third ranger I've owned,great truck.I had a Dodge Ram Sport,and I had one problem after another with it,and most were major.S-10's are alright,but after a couple years,serious brake problems can come up,such as cylinders.I have no problem with Toyota's,or Nissan's,but I can't comment on them because I've never owned one.Cast my vote for Ford Ranger 4X4.

4. I agree with River Walker as usual because he is THE MAN.......My dad has a ranger that is a 1998 that he bought in 2001 with 130,000 miles on it. I told him he was nuts for buying it with that many miles for only being 3 years old. To this day he has not had a problem with it and it now has close to 165,000 miles on it. The choice is yours due to everyone is going to give you pro's and cons about each truck........... Rich

5. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

save your self the head ach and payment keep driving your dads in the hopes that he just gives it to ya. LOL. I wouldn't buy a dodge to many problems i had an s10 had 340,000 on it and the guy who bought it from me is still driving it to the shop. I now have a GMC Jimmy which i like, I would stick with ford or chevy unless you are going foreign which they have a great track record as well. but cant coment on them since i grew up in a UAW house and we didn't buy foreign vehicles. Although there is probably more parts made in america on most hondas than on GM's and fords.

6. I drive a 4x4 s-10 pickup with an eight foot bed. It has about 135,000 miles on it and is still running fine. I was brought up on Chevy's, so they are the only vehicle I will own!!! Never buy a Ford. Just kidding Ford guys, not trying to start a war!!!

7. i want to buy an ample. i don't know what kind of truck it is but i always see signs that say "ample free parking"

8. LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.............Good one harry1...................... ;) ............ :rolleyes:

9. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

what you really need is a hybird....get a truck with a ford engine, chevy trany, and a dodge suspention...you would have the best of all three, and not their weakneses ;)

10. my dads f150 isnt 4x4. and its a little big for what i need. exspecialy with the v8, long bed and the high gas prices. but it gets me arround for now. i dont know about having a forin made one. i like to support all american made products. a hybrid would be nice. if someone can figure out how to do it. thanks for the input.

j

11. Just bought a 04 Ranger 4x4 ext. cab from Ricart

Only complaint is that it now has 87 miles insted of the 3 miles when I bourght it

12. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

still got my 2000 explorer its been a good truck i just want a full size cant wait till lease is up next year to get a new dodge ram...no hemi i just want the room

13. I say go for a Chevy. I have a 1990 Blazer with almost 244,000 miles on the original engine and tranny. I have had very few problems with it and I honestly believe it has at least another 244,000 left in it.
    LaDo

14. Hey Mousejam515,

I just bought a 1999 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4 it seems to be treating me right, but I have only had it for a couple of months (the check engine light came on after one month, something about the EGR valve). The truck has less than 50,000, so I can't speak for longevity. I previously owned a Toyota Corrolla so I am still getting used to the decrease in gas milage. To back up Fish4Fun a lot of "foreign cars" are built right here in the U.S. They assemble Hondas in Marysville north of Columbus, and if I earned more I would definitely have bought a Toyota Tacoma.

When I was researching buying trucks Consumer Reports rated Toyotas highly and said to avoid Ford Ranger 4x4 from '98-'02 because of reliability problems. However, I don't hold Consumer Reports as law. I friend of mine informed me that he had done some research and found that the 3.0L V6 Flexfuel engine was a really good engine (that's the engine in my truck).

Good luck with the truck,