close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

For guys that can't slow boat down

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by K gonefishin, Jan 16, 2008.

1. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

2. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Those are on my boat. But, the one's you refer to are:
    http://www.nauticusinc.com/ProTroller.htm

I am a firm believer in Smart Tabs for all boats 23-24ft or under. They dramatically reduced the low speed "wander" I experienced in my boat as well as getting on plane quicker and staying there at lower RPMs.

Larger, heavier boats are probably best served by hydraulic trim tabs.

3. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

The cabelas page has the description of both series, Pro included. These seem to look a little different from the ones you posted a link on. Ahh I just saw that they have an adapter kit for the smart tabs, I think EZBITE put some of these on his boat, or another guy with a trophy, nice upgrade, if I had a smaller boat with no kicker this would be a no brainer, the key to successful trolling is speed, this is the ticket for some guys.

The ProTroller Series lets you use Smart Tabs as both trim stabilizers and trolling brakes. By simply moving a lever up and down, you turn the Smart Tabs into the most effective trolling brakes on the market. With the lever in the down position, the plates drop down to create equal braking on both sides of the boat so you track straight, even at ultralow speeds. Plus, you maintain steering control because the propeller is not restricted.

Available:
    Smart Tabs SX – Boat length/horsepower: (12'-15', 25hp-35hp), (14'-17', 40hp-80hp), (15'-19', 60hp-140hp), (16'-20', 140hp-225hp).
    ProTroller Series – Boat length/horsepower: (12'-16', 40hp-80hp), (15'-18'+, 60hp-150hp).

4. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

Keith, didn't I show you how I did that?
    I drag 1/2 cement block 15' 6" back at 1.8 SOG off the starboard stern downrigger, (for easy retrieval) with umbrella rigs for teasers, (serves multiple purpose) no bags in the way, makes starboard trolling turns easy...Want to slow it down, let more line out.

5. KaGee

LOL! I love that "backyard" ingenuity! :D Red Green would be proud.

I thought about this: [​IMG]

Using the umbrellas like an air brake... what do you think?

6. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

I got that tip from Red Green! :)

7. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

yes, i put smart tabs on the trophy last year and LOVE THEM!!! i was too cheap at the time (and skeptic) and just got the basic set, not the troller ones.:( i shouldn't be so cheap all the time. think i might contact the company and see how much it is to convert or how to convert.

8. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

If I would have known about these 3 years ago, I definitly would of installed these on my boat. Still an option, but bags do work well for me. Going to go with a third bag off the trailering eye off the front on the days I have to get down to 1.5 or under.

9. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Yeah man for the money they can't be beat, they look awesome I would be willing to bet you could dial speed in very well using these as brakes, shoot even if you don't need tabs they will never hurt (in most cases expecially on Erie) and just to use them as brakes. I paid 65 bucks for bags and thse are just a little more than double..not bad.

10. cabelas look like a heavy plastic type material and the ones from nauticus look like a metal of some sorts I have been fighting with the bags and buckets to slow the boat down and was going to go the easy troller route but these sound like the ticket. Any input on the plastic/vinyl verses the metal/aluminum would be great or is it the protroller model comes in the aluminum.

11. i did somemore reading and answered my question on the material and this thread should be put somewhere besides the lounge it is way to good of info. Boats and motors erie forum im excited about this.

12. KaGee

The tabs shown in the Cabellas ad were new last year. They are not plastic. They are made from a composite material tested to be stronger than metal. When John at Nauticus was asked about it last spring, he replied that these were developed to offset the increased costs of the stainless steel products. They still sell those BTW.

13. ezbite

i have the stainless steel smart tabs installed on my boat, i looked at the composite ones at the boatshow monday and i will stay with the stainless steel. not putting down the composite ones, i just like the SOLIDNESS (is that a word?lol) of the steel.

14. Mann!!! now you guys have me thinking.... I was all ready to add a 9.9 kicker (that I already own for my other boat) on my 19 1/2' glasstron... and these trim tabs would be perfect....but now that I read this I am having problems deciding!!!!... The only thing that has me leading towards the kicker is the confidence of having back-up power in case of god forbid a main eingine failure and I can limp back to port.... Who would have thought that owning a boat would drive you crazy trying to make the right choice:confused:

15. ezbite

why not add both? i did.

16. mann EZ... you are going to make me work a lot of OT to get all of the toys for the boat:D ok... so you have the trim tabs for controll and the kicker for the lower trolling speed? or do you decide to use either depending on the situation? just curious???

17. Ok this is prob a stupid ? but will the trim tabs throw you off the nice straight side drift that you get when you lift the motor when you are jigging and drifting spinning rigs for eyes? or will they create a sideways drift as they crate drag on the back of the boat? I often go with fellow boaters who have lunds and a new starcraft:D and we usually have a good drift together and I dont want to have to constanltly start and move to correct my drift if I dont have to.... just want to think of all pros and cons befor I commit...

18. I am ordering mine on saturday and i would think that they might give you another option as possibly dropping only one to give you the option to a different angle drift and also slowing you down drop both slowing you down like a driftbag but that would put the stern into the wind. Eather way they are being ordered Sat called the help line and they said it will slow most boats1 to 1.5 mph im hopeing for more then that truthfully im hopeing for 2.5 to close to 3.5 mph if not ill be adding a 4 bladed prop someone told me that would help also.

19. KaGee

Smart Tabs did not affect the drift on my boat at all.