close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

For Gary's Family, Let's Help.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Big Daddy, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Everyone, I've come up with an idea to help the family of the fisherman who passed away at Long Lake this past weekend. I've run it by both the family and Tim at Long Lake Bait & Tackle and they've agreed to it. It's very simple.

We're going to have a fishing tournament to raise funds for the family. They need the support.

It's the "GARY RIFFLE MEMORIAL FISHING TOURNAMENT"

It will be held SATURDAY, OCTOBER 9, from 9AM til 3PM.

It is a simple panfish tournament. It will be $20 per boat(or 2 people, $10 for each additional person in boat) or $10 per person to fish from shore.

We'll weigh the 5 biggest fish(bluegill, crappie, perch, any combination)

There will be trophy's presented to the first three places.

ALL, I repeat ALL the money collected as far as entry fees will be donated to Gary's family to help them out.

This isn't about the contestants guys, it's about helping a family in need. Gary was an avid fisherman and passed away doing what he loved. Now, I'm putting out the call for a show of support to Gary's family.

You can sign up at Long Lake Bait & Tackle on Portage Lakes Drive. See Tim or Tina there and they'll fill you in.

Thanks.

2. any way i can "sign up" i wont be able to make it but i'll still sign up if i can

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

sounds like a great idea, i'll see who i can round up.

4. Thanks guys.

I'm going to check with Tim at the baitshop and see if we can set up an account for his family at some local bank up here, then if you want to, you can directly deposit your tournament entry there.

I'll talk with Tim about it later.

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Carl...what's the HP limit there? I'll be up in the Cleveland area that weekend with my boat and might be able to make it.

6. Long is unlimited hp, but there is a speed restriction of 6mph, I think. There is a small speed lane in the middle. The lake isn't really that long, just has the name.

7. And for the better too. I talked with Tim and we're going to expand the tournament to include all of the Portage Lakes. You can fish anywhere. Just check in at the baitshop before 9am, go wherever to fish and check back in for weigh in by 3pm. Trophies will be given to the top 3 winners PLUS there will be a big fish trophy.

Thsi is a real loosely formatted tournament with all entry fees going to the family. Also, if anyone would like to help and can't make the tournament, there has been a fund set up at any First Merit Bank in the area. Just call and tell them you'd like to donate to the "GARY RIFFLE MEMORIAL FUND" and they'll take care of you.

Also, I talked today with the family and they want to pass their thanks on to all those who helped and all the kind words and prayers. It really is a big help.

8. You have such a big heart to do all this, and I think that this site is that much better because of someone like you!!!!!! Not to embarass you, but you are a modern day saint. Thank you so much for all the updates and everything else you have done.
    I know I will be calling in my entry fee for the tourney, even though I know I can't make it that day. I hope that every inch of water is covered with anglers to help out the family!! My thoughts and prayers, along with my families prayers, go out to the Riffle's.

9. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

do we have to send our entry fee in to first merit, or will be able to sign up that day? i have neither a credit card or checking account.

10. I Would Just Like To Take My Hat Off To Everyone That Helped Search, Etc. And To Everyone Behind The Things Being Done To Help Gary's Family Now. I Had The Pleasure Of Meeting Tim And Tina Yesterday. They Are Good People And Deserve A Lot Of Credit For All Of Their Hard Work. I'm Just Sorry I Met Them This Way. My Heart Goes Out To The Riffles

11. Big Daddy you are a good person. I will be there. Being a neighbor of Gary's I know that his family will greatly appreciate what you are doing.

12. Thanks for all the kind words guys. I appreciate it, but this isn't about me. It's about the fishing community remembering one of our own and supporting his family. Not just financially either. It's going to be a celebration of Gary's life and what he left behind. From what I saw the past few days, he left a great legacy.

That's why we expanded it to all the Portage Lakes. More room, for one, and some speed lanes for you big-motor boat guys, more shore access if you can only bank fish, and it'll really open up the fishing.

All we'll be measuring is panfish, but you can fish for whatever you want. It's more to get out and remember a fellow fisherman and show his family the fishing community cares. I talked to his wife today and she is very appreciative for all the kind words and help. I'm printing out the "prayers" thread tomorrow and going to take all the messages to her.

Also, the entry fees for the tournament will be collected bt Tim at the baitshop. For those who would like to help but can't make the tournament, you can do the bank thing.

We're also looking for any local businesses that want to donate prizes to raffle, again, all proceeds go to help the family. There will be a large cookout at Long Lake Bait & Tackle after teh weigh-in at 3PM. Feel free to stop by and say hello, fishing or not.

Thanks for all the support.

13. I'm going to start a thread in the "TOURNAMENTS" section for this. Thanks again gang.

14. Sandy

Sandy

My husband and I are new to fishing. Last Saturday's tournament was only our second. I just want everyone to know how much fun we were all having and what a wonderful couple Tim and Tina are. Gary's last words were about fishing. He laughed and joked to Tim and Tina about there not being any fish in the lake.
    I did not have the pleasure of knowing Gary, but from what I have heard, I know I would have liked him a lot. Even through their grief, his family was warm and kind, and so very grateful for all who came by to help and show their support. They told me Gary had told them that if he had to "go" he wanted to go fishing.
    I spent several days watching a handful of fishermen (and women) tirelessly search the lake for any sign of Gary. They won't say this, but they did not sleep, barely ate, and only got off the water when the Sheriff told them to. THEY are the reason Gary was found along with those who loaned their fish finders, trolling motors, underwater cameras, and other equipment to people who they didn't even know to look for a guy they never met.
    I am proud to be a newby to the fishing community and to know that if anything ever happened to me, that you all would have my back.
    I will be at the pan fish tournament catching my minnows and throw backs. I hope to see you all there.

Sandy

15. catking

catking Banned

Thanks for the post Sandy. Welcome to this site. This is what I'm part of this site for, helping others and meeting new friends. Nothing more. The OGF team is glad you registered. Good luck to you and your husband in future fishing trips........ CATKING :)