close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

For casting and retrieving do you use swivels?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Banker, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Banker

Banker Banned

Title says (asks)it all. Please feel free to explain what type of casting and retrieving you tend to do (what species you're going after usually, etc). Also your reasoning behind why you prefer doing what you do (easy to swap lures, prevents line twist, etc). Thanks.

2. Iron_Chef_CD

Iron_Chef_CD Allez Cuisine

Well I'm a lazy SOB so 9/10 times I'm using a swivel :D

I think that your lure will in some cases perform better by directly tying it to your line. I just personally feel that for most of the lures I use it's just not worth the hassel unless I plan on fishing only a few lures during the trip.

Now if I had about 20 identical poles and a "fishing caddy" to carry them around I would just swap poles instead of lures and there would be no need for a swivel. Come to think of it that doesn't sound like a bad idea. Banker you looking for employment by chance :D :D

3. Banker

Banker Banned

do you believe in sharing?

4. I use a swivel in two applications currently. One is when I'm throwing a wacky rigged worm. This causes a lot of line twist and can even lock up a spinning rod pretty badly at times. I also use them when I am throwing senko type baits.

I was watching Bassmaster U and someone showed how they use them on soft plastic jerkbaits as well. Sounds like a good idea, so I'm going to try it one of these days and I will probably use it there as well from now on.

Eric

5. I use swivels most of the time, but thats because most of the time I have a Roostertail on the end of my line, and I get bad line twist with Roostertails if I don't use a swivel. But when I am using a crankbait, I don't, because I believe it throws the balance of the lure off and I can't get the action out of it that I am looking for. So I only use it with spinnerbaits.

6. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

I stated in another post somewhere, that if you fish Rooster tails or any in-line spinner, take a pair of pliers and put a 90 degree bend where the line ties to the lure. This will not affect the lure too much, and will reduce line twist a lot when not using a swivel. -Hooch-