close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

For BottomBouncer..

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by RiverRat, Jul 14, 2005.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Hey I saw ya asking about rod pods, catapults, ect.

Most rod pods are sold in seperate pcs. because of many reasons...you can put one together to fit your own needs. The frame or main body is called the POD...then you have whats called the buzz bars, these are the horizontal bars that the alarms(or buzzers) are attached too. On the front buzz bar goes your alarms..now you can get 2, 3 & 4 rod versions(meaning 2, 3 or 4 alarms)...then the rear buzz bar holds your butt rests..the butt end of the rod goes here.

If you purchase one of the new version FOX rod pods from Wackerbaits like the Horizon pod...it comes with the buzz bars and he carrys the 3 and 4 rod version...which all you have to do is buy a pair of alarms($10-$200) of your choice and a pair of butt rests(normally they run $2-$5 for a pair).

I checked Paul's site and he has the X-pod for $118.....this is a god pod and my buddy Dave owns one. Only draw back to this pod is it doesnt not extend either in length or heigth. but it does come with the buzz bars(only need alarms & butt rests).
    Then theres the X-pod plus...same as the above , but this one extends both heigth(via bank sticks) and length(main body)...perfect for longer rods like 12' & 13' . This one runs $154. Both the X-pod and X-pod plus have a "goal post" design and you can use the banksticks and buzz bars without using the pod(on soft ground)..or you can put an alarm on each bank stick and use them seperately..like normal rod holders.

Then theres the Horizon pod....he only has the 3 rod version in stock, which is all you need since we cant use more than 2 rods here in Ohio. It also fully extends for long rods and comes with buzz bars for $160 (the best buy under $200 IMO) again all you need is a pair of alarms and a pair of butt rests.

Over $200 theres the Fox Quattro pod that i have(3 rod version) it is also fully extendable and comes with buzz bars....i love mine and its many pods in one like the X-pod series, ive bought a pair of long bank sticks and i can fish with my rod tips very high(45") when fish big water with snags or weeds close to the bank.

Alarms:
    Well you can go many routes...you can try to find a pair on ebay for $20 like a few guys have, buy the ones wackerbaits or american carp society carrys in the $20 a pcs. range....heck all the way up to the high end at over $200 ea.
    The ones off ebay are like the ones that wackerbaits carrys and are a roller wheel style ..the ones that ACS carrys are vibration sensing(like my Delkims)..but they also sell a roller wheel design too. Both kinds are great and i own 8 alarms total, after a few years using alarms i found for ME the vibration sensing works the best...but thats to cover all seasons fishing as i tend to fish a lot in winter when for hit lightly. The basic roller wheel alarm will work out great for your carping.

As far as terminal tackle, all you need is a nice assortment of sinkers(which ever style YOU prefer), some leader material(braid, mono, ect) and a good hook pattern you like and some swivels(i'd go with black ones).

Catapults or slingshots can be bought at wackerbaits too....but i really dislike FOX catapults and know personally myself and my friends have wore a few models out after a few trips......if you can...buy a Drennan brand catapult IF you can find them? I know Americancarpscociety.com carrys them, but they always seem to be out of stock!...I have 5 different catapults to cover both short to long range and for particles(like corn) and ground bait(like my method mix). All you really need is a particle catapult.

I can add pictures to this thread is you would like to SEE some of the things im talking about..or answer any questions you might have.
    Scott

2. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Almost forgot...if your going to catch carp, one of the most import items of tackle you need is a nice "fish friendly" style net. Carp are NOT like cats and are difficult to land by hand(specially by yourself)...add a 12'+ rod into the factor and its even harder to land them by yourself.

I can highly recommend the Fox 32" barble special, only draw back is getting someone to order a replacement mesh net for you when it wears out. The net(comes with 6' handle , 32" arms and spreader block) will run you around $70...a replacement net from wackerbaits ran me $45, and he doesnt carry them in stock....geez!

Most guys on here use a UK standard 42" net....i have one and have only used it a few times...way way to big and clumsy for my taste and unless your landing 40+ lb carp its not needed. The net hangs way down way to far and gets tangled in sticks, rocks when trying to land fish, plus when your trying to transport a caught fish up on the bank its almost impossible to not drag it on the ground(for us SHORT guys)..lol.

The best place ive found for carp nets with out breaking the bank is:
    http://www.psfishing.com/

Just make sure you get a CARP net, not a MATCH fishing net as those are much smaller!

Scott

3. Great post with a lot of great information for those wanting to try out some of the Euro tackle available in the US. A carp friendly net is next on my list of purchases...I agree with Scott that the standard carp size nets are a bit cumbersome. Sounds like the barble net might be the way for me to go. I'm probably going to buy another cheap set of alarms also...I've heard a lot of good review from everyone who went the cheap route.

4. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

CW, THANKS....I know guys like BB are kind of getting the "itch" for some carping and wanting to know about the gear....we'll and ya know how i enjoy talking "shop"..lol.

I love my Barble net and its perfect for both small and large carp....compared to my old net this thing is massive. I know a few CAG members that have bought the P&S nets and love them..same small hole fish friendly nets like the EURO ones.

I do want to stress though before someone hits me over the head...to all newbies wanting to get into carp fishing...YOU DO NOT NEED THE GEAR MENTIONED IN THIS POST TO CATCH CARP OR ATTEND ANY OF THE OGF/CAG EVENTS!

You can do very well on your normal gear, most importantly is location and bait...after that just hang on to your rods!
    As Bob Bernowski told me many years ago.." carp fishing can be as easy or as complicated as you want!".....i chose to go full "euro" but that was my choice, but dont let the talk of alarms, rod pods, 12' carbon rods lead you to believe you need all this to compete at any carp event or enjoy yourself bankside with the guys....its no different than bass fishing, someguys like to fish from the bank, while others spend $90k on a fully loaded top of the line boat and truck(for the record im a BANK bass fisherman..lol) Doesnt mean they'll catch more, its just thier choice to buy what they want.

BB, i'll get some pics. taken today and try to break stuff down to help explain all the BS that confused me when i started carpin with this kind of tackle.

Also check out the pinned threads at the top of the carp section....lots of info. there.

Also check here:
    http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/carpingtips.html

Scott

5. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i have to say i kinda like that barbel net myself.. its very light and did the job perfectly.. and yes, its great for a shorty like myself to use and handle.. :)
    great post.. :)

6. The Kernel

The Kernel Banned

7. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Marks right it is a good deal...BUT after seeing this gear in person, i wouldnt recommend it to someone looking for half way good tackle!!
    I have a buddy that owns thier pod...only $47..its a steal, until you see it in person..its pure junk! I wouldnt trust it to hold my rods...i'd be affraid it would fall apart on a run.
    Another of my buddys bought the 2 rod complete set up......i personally dont care for the rods or the reels either. This "kit" might be better suited for kids getting into carping...NOT adults.

Ive seen and handled everything from this complete "kit" and IMO its not a deal at all and your money could be spent much better elsewhere.

of course IMO that is,if you dont know what "good" carp tackle looks like or are used to cheaper gear, this might be a good set up...but not me!

Scott

8. The Kernel

The Kernel Banned

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for (unless you are River Rat Ha ha ha). Its a good bit of kit to get you started and see if you enjoy euro style carping without having to spend a mint..PLUS it all comes in the mail in one go so its like Christmas and it saves the beginner from having to pick and choose items that can be initially confusing. You can be an INSTANT CARPER! Just add water!

9. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I thought you said Barbie net
    It's hell getting old....... :eek:

10. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Nice stab Mark..if i thought you were worth it...i might stab back...but im not wasting typing space on ya.

Jim...yes i do have a Barbie net too, just have'nt caught any 6' blonds in it yet...lol...and YES you are getting old (joke'in).

Scott

11. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

It's no joke....I'm starting to feel it now. You know the line about you're only as old as you feel ? I always say crap, I must be 80 !! I can still do everything, I just pay a price in pain.

12. I'd rather buy the good stuff to start out with........not most expensive, but say it was someone getting started......after fumbling around with the cheapo's and getting frustrated, that might leave a bad impression on a person to make them take up some other fishing.

I believe in buy something the least amount of times as possible, say I want a nice cat set up.......I'm not going for a large Zebco spincast and a redrhino rod!!!