close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

? for all you smokers (fish)

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by Gobi Muncher, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Gobi Muncher

Gobi Muncher mmmm.....tasty!

When smoking Crappie, Gills, Eye's, etc. do you all leave the skin on or go ahead and fillet it off before smoking? Gonna try some fish for the first time and just curious on the preparation. Thanks!!!!!

2. I have only done salmon before and we always left the skin on. I would say leave the skin on or maybe do half with the skin on and half just the fillet. I know I did some gills in the dehydrater once, just the fillets, and they were not too bad. Fish jerky!

3. I just smoked a steelhead this weekend. One fillet skin on and one skin off. If you do it skin off you should smoked it for less time. Walleye has very little fat soconstantly check it as it will dry out fast. The fatty fish are best suited for smoking.

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

How do you roll them, or do you smoke them in a bowl? :confused:

5. I would leave the skin on. Pan fish are tricky to do on the smoker because they cook so fast.

6. skin off or on no matter except off means faster cooking time...

7. I have noticed when smoking fish when you leave the skin on it tends to cook the fish more with just a little flavor of the smoke, but when you take the skin off you are smoking it and get a stronger flavor and a little drier fish.

8. Gobi Muncher

Gobi Muncher mmmm.....tasty!

Thanks fellas, unfortunately I haven't been able to get out yet to get any fish to try it. I am getting anxious to try it because when the Dick's in Beavercreek moved I bought a bunch of these packets that you add to water to make your brine solution. Can't remember the name right now (I think Jim Zumbo endorses them or something), but have some for fish and fowl and figured that would be the easy way to get started and maybe make my own as I learn. I will try both ways to see how they do and it will probably be bluegill first since I have a couple ponds that will guarantee a chance at this.
    Thanks again!

Mrfishohio,
    I was using the papers that came with the old Cheech and Chong albums, but have recently ran out........any suggestions? :D