close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Food Plots" On Public Hunting Land?

Discussion in 'The Lodge' started by c. j. stone, Dec 17, 2008.

1. I was hunting recently on a public area and found a brassicas foodplot of maybe 2 acres well off a main access road but on the Public Area none the less. Anybody ever hear of such a thing on State lands?
    (Pls. don't ask for the location as I might need a backup area during the ML season just in case I still have an open tag-though I'm SURE I'm not the only guy who saw it.)

2. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

There are few wildlife areas the DNR plants food plots on...I don't wanna mention which ones cause I don't want your spot to get crowded.

3. Yes it is very common. The WA areas around here plant corn, sorgham, Winter Wheat, and sun flowers to name just a few. This is especially prevelent in my area where they have Dove Areas...And also Quail Restoration Projects. I found an interesting occurance this year. A corn field, full sized without a SINGLE ear of corn. Not sure what happened.....But there was not a husk to be found...Very strange. Its like it just did not finish growing.

4. ThunderHawk,
    What you may have seen was a firld of sorghum or one of the hybrids like it. The seed head is where the tassles normally are on corn. A very common plant for pheasant / quail / dove areas.

5. Hmmm, Sure looked like corn though. Interesting. Thanks for the input. I am not sure if we will hunt that field again.....It seems the birds liked the "corn" better. However, If I go back I will definitely take a closer look. These are 8 foot stocks planted like corn.....It is definitely not Sorgham as I have hunted that before.

6. Probably got a deal on some chinese seed?! Yeah, I've seen all that before but this stuff looked like clumps of cabbage leaves-I've seen it on the Outdoor Channel several times and at a friends cabin when he first tried to grow a plot. Definitely a first for me on a Public Hunting area though.