Foam poppers!

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Janus, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Anyone tie them? if so what do you like to use for the tail and does a hackle collar seem to help?
    Janus

2. heres some i tied

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] heres one with hackle and i added some rubber legs from a bass spinner skirt i like the way the roosterneck looks to most i think hackle works to make a bit of a bulkier body though. hope that helps alittle

3. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Yep started on them yesterday. Got a bunch of differnent colors laminated and got to glue them together ton ite. I will post them when I get thenm done. Looking for hooks M33903 size 12 and 14 for bluegills. But have the larger ones. Hard to find anything good down here though.

4. does anybody know how to tie foam divers without buying the prefab heads. Im looking to tie dalhbergs without using deerhair.

5. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Although I haven't made these with foam but I am sure you can but they probably wont look as nice as the prefabricated ones. I like the deerhair myself. I am sure I seen one made out foam but can't remember where I seen the article.

6. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

I have always seen poppers and wondered how to make um. looks like some foam, hook and epoxy with materials tied in.kinda simple sounding. I have 3 or 4 gill poppers I bought but never had luck on um. might have to try um out this summer again. they came with mono weed guards. won't that make you miss a bite? seems to block the hook to me? no algae or lilly pads to snag around where I fish either.

7. Fishaholic, "easiest" way is to buy the premade forms..come in packs of 6-10 depending on size and also get the bent shank hooks so they stay glued together....can also make divers by reversing the form on th hook so the narrow end is forward.

8. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Yes those weedguards can miss you some fish especially those picky big ones. But if you in the weeds a lot then they make life a little easier so there are trade offs. I haven't seen many pppers with them so where you got them at?
    As for making them foam ,finger nail file /ander and a dremel tool is all you need to make them. You don't really need the kink shank hooks though as you can wrap thread on a longer shank hook and glue the foam body to them. I have been doing that lately it work well. I gave up using any kind of super glue as I think itsworthless and get cloudy after awhile. I now use epoxy and UV Knot sense from now on.

9. i was making bodies out of balsa wood---buy a square of appropriate size and shape them with a double edge razor blade it sands and paints easily---i was using a stinger hook(mustad 37187) and glue them into a slit made in the bottom--epoxy or uv glue them in---paint them and put a hackle on and go fish

10. Here are a couple foam poppers for ya....

Brad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

I like to use maribou with crystal flash or maribou with short saddle hackle feathers (gives the appearance of legs on some poppers) and for a collar depends on what type or popper im tying as to what I use..... sometimes I use spun deer hair, or some maribou of a lighter color than the main color of the fly to create the collar but most of the time its just 2 saddle hackle feathers in a matching grizzly color

12. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Pretty Cool! there but I think the first one wont pop at all though. Have you fished them?

13. No. Those things are as big as sparrows. Made them for a friend as a joke. They are made of foam using the dremel tool method.

Brad

14. Utard

Utard

I haven't ever tied any poppers with foam, but have found that big gurglers serve as a pretty decent substitute and they're easier to cast. They're incredibly easy to tie and don't require any other specialized tool (i.e Dremmel) that you shouldn't already have in your tying arsenal. Check these out: http://www.jackgartside.com/step_gurgler.htm

15. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Utard, I make those with rubber legs. Great bass catching pattern for sure.

Here a picture
    [​IMG]

16. What do you use to throw those babies? How long are they?

17. The popper is called a Bob's Banger. It comes from the Strip community. It is based around cylindrical foam. When you strip it gurgles dives and leaves a bubble trail. It is quite easy to tie. The foam comes in many diameters so the fly can be scaled to whatever size you need. I have tied them musky/pike sized and bass sized. Given the way they are built you can change the heads of the fly in the field.

The following link has the details. You will need to assemble the link add "." and remove line feed, add / after "org" The list would not let specify and intact url.

www aswf org
    saltwater_flies_for_web/bob_popovics/saltwater_flies_bob_banger.html

18. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

You can cast them with a 6wt since they are not to heavy and does not absorb much water. But I like using my 9wt. for bass but got a new Winston 7wt. rod that I will be using a lot this year for bass so as long as they fly is not to heavy.

19. Utard

Utard

F-dog. Now that is what I'm talking about! I haven't turned any out that are that large, but I also add rubber legs to mine. It's such an easy addition that really makes a difference.

Once I get back from Utah and then back from the 3/29 fishing trip up on the Rocky, I'll definitely be working on some. I'll try to post a few pictures once they're complete.

BTW, very good looking flies!

20. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

I will have a few extras when I come up for the yard sale we will have over at farm just in case some like to trey them.