close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flyrods vs. Bassrods

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by zspook, May 30, 2007.

1. I love flyfishing, and it is my favorite way to fish....but....there are times when I want to catch a bunch of fish on my bassrods as well. Generally speaking (I know that there are exceptions) I catch more fish when flyrodding, but bigger fish on my bassrods. I love the way a bass explodes on a topwater, but I get just as big a thrill when a large bluegill inhales a fly on the surface. I do occasionally catch large fish on my flyrod. Over the years, the records I've kept show that I usually catch 3 or 4 times as many fish on the flyrod.

My problem at this time of the year is deciding which type of fishing I want to do. It has become so problematic that I fear that I might be in need of some psychological help. Perhaps some of you can help me avoid the shrink's office.

Anyone else feel conflicted, or are you all 100% flyfishing converts now?
    zspook

2. I have using a flyrod exclusively the last 2 years. I did this to make myself learn to fly cast. If I had my spinning rod with me, I would get frustrated and stop fly casting. None of my buddies are FF'ers, so I always take my old rods with me when I fish with them.
    I now carry a collapsible spinning rod, it's only about 20" long and I can hook it to my vest.
    Whatever you do, do not fret over something like this - fishing is fishing - just enjoy it!

3. I use my fly rod whenever I can but sometimes it just isn't practical. For instance I just hit a pond with my wife and my mother-in-law, both like to fish, go figure, but you can't float it with anything, bank only, and it is highly over grown with weeds and trees on the bank. So no fly fishy for me. We also fish from thier pontoon a lot and it isn't very safe to be whipping a fly line with a 1/0 hook on a pontoon with 4 adults and two year old around, I've done it, but why risk it?

I did buy a baitcaster this weekend and I've never used one before, I'm victim of the TV fishing show marketing crap. It sure is different and I think it is harder than fly casting... much more frustrating and bizarre for someone used to a spin rod. I can feather it with my thumb pretty well and manage not to rats nest it too bad, but it seems to take off at a wierd angle...anyway I'll get used to it, but it just makes me like the long rod even more :)

4. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

You might be using too light of a lure. I remember the first times working through a baitcaster's feel it seemed like where the release point where the lure would usually fly off a spin casting reel would send the lure almost 90 degrees on a bait caster (which usually results in a big splash right in front of you and a backlash).

I started using a larger lure (like a jig and pig) and casting was much easier...and often I caught bigger fish :) I never really got used to it, so now I primarily fish with spin casting rod/reels or fly rods.

CW

5. I grew up with baitcasting, then fell in love with ultralight spinning in the 60's, but have also been exclusive with the flyrod for about 3 years. It is simply the most enjoyable way to fish for me. Bottom line is that, whatever type fishing you enjoy, just do it!
    Mike

6. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

I will agree with the above posts, I have been fly fishing for 33 years now, but I have gone through traditional angling periods. I do like to hit the river at night with a good friend from time to time to relax and catch some cats. I mostly fly fish for everything from trout (trout on the dry fly my first love) to carp, smallies,gar cats, gills whatever, Basicallly anything that swims. Z I find if I throw big flies for pond or lake bass the size of the fish improves. Big poppers, deer hair, bunny bugs and the like in the 4 to 10" range. THis can be very tiring after a long day and you may not catch quite as many but your bigger fish catch should improve.. use a stiffer leader system to prevent spinning of the fly and to aid in turnover. Use long double haul casting strokes to prevent fatigue in you casting arm. I am paitiently waiting for one of the tournement anglers to add it to there arsenal. I can't help but think that under certain conditions these guys could add to the well with fly techniques, after all these fish see the same basic baits all the time. putting something a little different in front of them can't be a bad thing. GIve the the big flies for the big quys a try and let us know how you do. S

7. sevenx
    Thanks for the advice. I have a 9ft 8wt Sage rod that I picked up specifically for my trips up to Maine each year, hoping to target stripers. I do gun for larger fish from time to time, but mostly like to use smaller flies that will allow me to find a happy medium between lots of action and an occasional large fish.

Your comments about tournament fishing is something I've often wondered about myself, because most bass pros often talk about downsizing or showing the fish something they aren't used to seeing. And from what I've read, many of them are just as good with a flyrod as they are with a bass rod.

I appreciate your comments...have a great day!
    z

8. ethan-a-thon -
    The largest fish I ever caught out of fresh water came as the result of a backlash on my baitcasting reel. I was fishing the Maumee last year and I was using a Rapala Countdown Minnow which sinks. I cast and ended up with a huge nest that took several minutes to unravel. Needless to say, when I reeled up my slack line, I thought I was snagged on the bottom.
    However, when the line started moving, I set the hook and found myself connected with an angry flathead catfish!

That's the beauty of fishing, you just never know when or how or why!
    Have a great day!
    z

9. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Anytime Z, happy to give .02 however latly I cant catch a cold,,,acually I did just catch a cold so it may time to get the river.;) s

10. I grew up spin casting for trout, gave flyfishing an honest effort the last half dozen years but went back to spincasting recently.

I still have my FF gear - couple of rods/reels and collection of fly's, buggers, and poppers and occasionally use them in my spincasting.

Now, if local ponds and lakes allowed floattubes, I would still be fairly active in flyfishing. Boats are nice but nothing beats a smaller lake or large pond with a floattube.

11. I have problems with my casting arm and just learned a trick that helps to make tossing the 8wt. a little easier. This may sound a little strange but hers goes - The rod is used ONLY to point the line forward and back. Double hauling is used to do the work. Basically, your casting arm is doing nothing but pointing the rod while your line hand applies the energy. I'm still learning, but when it works, there is almost no stress to the casting arm. Go for quality in each cast not quantity.

As sevenx says, using a good stiff leader is also very helpful for turning those big flies. Here is an easy formula - Butt (25 or 30lb.) + 1/2 Butt (downsize 5 lbs from Butt) + 1/4 Butt (downsize 5 lbs).

Example - 5 ft. 25# + 2.5 ft. 20# + 15in. 15 # or 0X. Onto this you tie on 18 to 24" of any size tippet.

Surgeon's Knots work just fine for line to line attachment, but Blood Knots are supposed to be stronger. I have found that mono to mono only needs 2 turns, while mono to braid takes 3.

If you can Nail Knot the Butt onto your fly line, you have no loops.

12. Thanks for the info...I find that I usually develop some bad habits when casting. I often have to remind myself to let the rod do the work...
    double-hauling is really neat once you get the hang of it! Something i want to try is a spey rod...now that looks like fun.

By the way...you can Nail Knot the Butt, but when I tried it, I walked funny for about a week and had a hard time sitting down for any length of time.

Seriously folks, I appreciate all of the helpful hints. Have a great weekend. I hope to get in some time on the Maumee River tomorrow!
    zspook

13. Yeah, my rotator cuff is rough on the right side, makes casting a bit of work after a couple of hours.

If you have the same issue, I can send a link to some cuff excersises that DO help and only require a very light dumbell.

I just started them again, you may feel a difference in just a week or so ...that is if the rotator cuff is the issue...very common cause of shoulder pain and weaknesss, makes surgeons DROOL however, like lower back surgery, many that get it done relapse...

I'll have to try and catch you by the bike bridge one evening, I scouted that area in the late fall last year and the water was a tourrent!

14. BlueDun

BlueDun Member

Please post the link!

Thanks!