close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flyfishing help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by exexec, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Can someone reccomend a good beginners book for flyfishing especially trout waters in PA. Thanks

2. I started with a book entitled "Essential Fly Fishing" by Tom Mead. Covered all the basics of fly fishing and tying.

PS - Should have put this in the fly fishing section. I'm sure the Mods will move it.

3. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

start by learning how to keep your balance while getting down to the river. Then of coarse while wading the river make sure not to break your neck. Then work on learning to fly fish. You had me almost crying when you about biffed it at the hoga.

flash-------------------------out

4. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

take that 8 footer and strap a Stradic 1000 on the end and throw teeny little spinners. No false casting, no backloops, no windknots or tangles in the trees behind you. LOL

I have a really nice, barely used Martin Trophy rod and a 7/8 reel in the garage that has been used probably 15 minutes in the 12 years that I have owned it. I've never felt more clumsy in my life, and I can put a 1/4 oz spinnerbait in a coffee can at 30 feet. Can't hit a bull in the butt with a banjo while fly rodding. I look like I'm having an epileptic fit when I try to use it.

It has to be the prettiest form of fishing ever, but I just can't do it. :mad:

UFM82

5. It is easy if you have someone teach you prior to your learning bad habits. I helped at the Castalia area trout fishing and casting clinic's sponsored by the State and was able to get several people started in about 1/2 hour on grass, then working with them on the stream. The most important ingredient is to start off with a balanced outfit (line weight matched to the rod and a weight forward line) that is not too heavy. A five or six weight system works out really well. DON"T, don't, start out with an eight weight steelhead outfit as the odds of sucess are stacked against you with that strong of an outfit. I'd be happy to give you some instruction if you want to come to Medina, bring your outfit for me to check out along with some Coors Beer (not lite stuff).
    If you don't have a five or six weight, you can use mine. The lake out front has some cooperative gils and bass that can be tried after the lesson. :D

6. That's pretty cool Ron, you're a heck of a guy.

Hey your shell is ready....I'll bring it down sometime this weekend, I'll call first

7. Fish2day

Fish2day member

Exec,

The best place to learn about fly fishing is at TMF sport shop in Rootstown. They are an Orvis shop and those guys could write the book on the subject. PM me if you want the address or phone #

*EDIT* I am sorry. I didn't read all of Shortdrift's reply. I'm betting he would be the BEST place to learn fly fishing. But TMF is a close second.
    :eek:

8. Fish2day, I may be wrong, but I think TMF is closer to where you live.
    I think it's off Rt.44, heading toward Ravenna.It is great flyfishing shop. A little expensive, but they have a great variety of flyfishing equipment.

9. Sorry Fish2day, my wife informed me that area is still considered Rootstown. DOH!