Fly line questions

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Pay2Play, Jan 15, 2008.

1. New to this form of fishing and would like your input. I have Gander Mtn. combo 8wt rod, and 7-9wt reel. Primarily use it for steelhead. The line came with the reel so I don't really know what brand or type it is other than floating. This outfit is only 1 month old and I have noticed cracking of the coating on the line and was thinking of buying new line. Problem is there is too much to choose from. Cost is not an issue, Performance is. My thought was going with S/A or Rio steelhead tapered line.

Also, how long should I expect the line to last? Should I clean it with something or just wipe it off after I am done fishing for the day?

2. I'm not sure on steelhead line. If you fish in the cold you need a line that can handle it. I'm fond of Cortland 333 but that's me and also Scientific Agler aircel. They aren't the high end lines but the work fine are durable. I think cleaning after every or every other trip will help the line last much longer...I'm not sure on the life of a line it really depends on when you consider it in need of replacement. Some have fished the same line for 10+ years and seem to have no complaints and are catching fish. There is a lot of marketing that goes into these lines and the amount of different tapers will drive you crazy..but there are some that have stood the test of time and are proven...Hopefully some other more steelhead experienced people will chime in with suggestions.
    Janus

3. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Rio's Is all I use now. Best line I have ever found.

4. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

If you take care of your line like cleaning it and not stepping on it then it can last you a long time. I fly fish up to 300 days a year so I be happy to get 3 years out of them or more.Sometimes I slack in keeping them clean though. But you can tell when performance drops off.

5. I am also a huge RIO fan, but quite honestly, it's hard to go wrong with any of the RIO or SA premium lines. BTW, if you'll be tossing bulky & heavy flies, try the RIO Clouser.
    Mike

6. SA steelhead master series, and 25' roll casts all day.. lol..

7. Thanks for the info guys. I am going to order the SA line. I actually think I wouldn't know the difference between good or bad line just yet....but I am catching alot of fish! So I must be doing something right.

8. i got cortland 555 for a bargain price. its good to you when you take care of it. i would clean my lime after every couple of trips and apply some dressing. that clearly improves the performance