close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fly Fishing

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by dgfish, Jul 10, 2007.

1. I just tried fly fishing with my father's gear. I can see myself getting "hooked". Had a good time with the blue gill the other day, but I think the nymphs I was using were too small. I did better when they were tipped with a maggot. What are the popular flies for the bass and panfish? Any tips would be appreciated.

2. Cheesehead Cory

Cheesehead Cory Displaced Person

I only just dabble in fly fishing, bu I really like to fish poppers, small ones for panfish and bigger ones for bass. I guess I'm the same way when baitcasting/spinning, love the topwater bite.

You would probably get more replies in the fly fishing forum.

3. trust me your nynphs are not to small. i catch steelhead with size 16 nymphs. my buddy made me a believer with those

4. Nymphs will kill bluegill. Tipping always catches more fish ;-)

As for patterns, a small woolly bugger usually kills the panfish, bass, and anything around. I start with a size 14 and move up depending upon conditions. If it is really murky I start with a size 8 or 6.

You can catch some slab-sized panfish on flies. They will really pound most flies. You can try some caddis dry flies. Those work well, as do hopper and cricket imitations. On a 5 weight and a farm pond, you can have yourself a blast.

As for too small...just try to imitate local fauna. I caught a 16" largemouth (nothing huge...) on a size 16 scud imitation. I was targeting panfish and I got surprised! Most fish are opportunistic predators. Give them something to try, and they will. Around here in the summer, for panfish and bass, I pretty much exclusively use fly, as I catch 3-4x the fish I do when using regular tackle.

5. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

All the post above have great tips. The fly choices are really all you need, Some small poppers, nymphs and streames for the Gills, As was stated match the hatch, this does not only apply to insects but bait fish, crayfish or whatever you forage base is. Keep in mind bigger popper are very wind resistant and tend to spin so you will want to you a heavier leader like a 3x when throwing these flies. They can also be very difficult for a begining fly fisher. My suggestion would be to stick with blue gill for awhile and get your cast down before moving on to the big flies. Remember fly fishing is like golfing. A good golf game only come's with time at the driving range and on the course. A good cast only comes with practice and time on the water. Start simply and give your self the chance to really learn your cast and you will grow to really enjoy the fly and it will reduce your overall casting learning curve and keep you interested in doing it. Many people start trying to cast for bass with big flies or trout, or other with big streamers and spend the majoraty of the day untangling nots and putting ice on the big welts they get from hitting themselves with the big flies.
    As for flies being to small. I have caught many a trout over 20" on size 20 to 26 midge patterns. So fly size is directly to what the fish are eating. Don't be affraid to threw small flies. Example: late evening and you see little ring all over the pond and blue gill are rising everywhere. The rings are midges or other small insects (mosquitos etc.) hatching and for the gill its the all you can eat buffet. Your talking about sz 20-22 bug there eating and believe me when you start sticking and fish on that size fly you will be hooks on small fly fishing. Its very cool to see that little tiny fly sticking in the lip of a 5lb trout or a hand size gill. Its all about what is the available to the fish. Have fun. S

6. Thanks for all of the helpful tips. I am looking forward to using them ASAP. It sounds like I was heading in the right direction by starting with the bluegill first, where the casting can be developed. My dad is an old timer and used to fly fish often, but hasn't done it in awhile. He provided the "on the spot advice I needed". Again, thanks for the help and I'll be lookng forward to posting some of my updates.