close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fly fishing the Mad

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Sauggie, May 9, 2008.

1. Sauggie

Sauggie ... ...

Just bought my first fly rod a couple months ago. I've been practicing in the back yard but figure for a while I'll be in the trees, once on the river. :p Was planning on going to the Mad and was wondering if anybody would help me out. What flies would you recommend for brownies? I have some elk hair caddis dry flies.

Thanks!

2. They update with what is hatching and what is working. In general Elk Hair Caddis #12-#16 or a #12 through #16 Adams are good choices for dries. A #10 to #14 green soft hackle works well as do bead head zug bugs and bead head hares ear nymphs.

3. Sauggie

Sauggie ... ...

Thanks hunterm! Just curious, you mentioned that "they update with what is hatching . . ." Who updates with what's hatching? That's would be great info to have!

4. Always take au sable wulfs, adams, wooly buggers, hares ears and pheasent tales. If you have those you'll be set in most cases. I would suggest practicing in local warm water streams as the mad is a rather swift stream for this area.

5. cantsleep

cantsleep 3rd shift blues

I believe he means that the fish adapt to what is actively hatching at the time. Fish with what looks like the stuff they are normally eating to increase your effectiveness.
    I don't fly fish myself, so if I'm wrong someone will correct me. Good luck!

6. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

auggie,they're talking 'bout the mad river outfitters site for the updates. There are some hatches of insects from the water that do get the larger trout looking up to the sirface but your best bet for a nice sized trout and not a recent dink stocker is to use streamers...leave the little stuff at home unless you like small fish and want to catch thousands of chubs. I usually use streamers 2-4" in length, in olive,white or black or a sculpin pattern. You won't be wasting time on lil fish that should'nt even have a hook in their mouth w/ streamers.Oh,BTW,been flyfishing exclusively for more'n 40 yrs so I do speak w/ some experience.I've had trout well over two feet in length chase my streamer to the bank and turn and have landed up 24"/5lbs in there. Look for deep, fast water or wood cover in deeper water. Fish the fly actively to make the trout think it's trying to get away,TC1

7. Sauggie

Sauggie ... ...

TCO, that makes sense. I'm not at the point where I can tie flies yet. So I bought some at Gander Mtn. Looks like I'm going back to pick up more flies.

Hopefully I'll see you out on the river sometime. Thanks again!

8. i totally agree with tc1 said about streamers, i even tied some articulated baby brown trout for when they stock them:B . the biggest thing on the mad i think is not so much the flies but the presentation, learn to mend and put in good drifts, be quiet and take your time. also, when fish are tough throw smaller take some size 18-20 para adams, and some little pheasant tails on light tippets, the lighter the tippet the easier it is to get a natural drift. goodluck!