Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to try my hand at fly fishing, but I'm not sure where to go. Can anybody tell me where a beginner can go within say an hour of Doylestown OH? I don't really care what fish are out there, I just want to try to get some experience. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Any rivers is sure bet right now. you shouldn't have any trouble anywhere on standard variety of flies especially wooly buggers and poppers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only river that I know of that is close to me is the Tusc. I don't know of any accessible (public) areas to get to though. I tried the Clearfork at Mohican a few weeks ago, but kids and canoes make it hard to find an area to fish at. I have thought about Rocky River since it is fairly close, but again I don't know any access points. The Cuyahoga is not far away, but with the work being done at the dams I doubt it will be very good right now. The places that I normally fish at are inland lakes that don't lend themselves to fly fishing. Especially not a beginner. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Fly fishing on inland lakes is pretty easy if you watch your backcast..small poppers and bluegill all day even bass

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If you know of any ponds, fish those. The Portage Lakes are good. I've fly fished Turkeyfoot and Long Lakes from shore and caught a few bluegills, various sunfish, and a few small bass. The canal may also be worth a try.

Also, Chagrin River Outfitters and the Cleveland Orvis store occasionally have beginner classes/seminars if you'd be interested in those....

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would suggest starting with a pond where you have a clear area behind you so you don't have to worry about trees, etc. on you backcast. Use small floating flies and you will catch all the bluegill you care to. If you use small poppers you should catch some bass as well but they can be a bit harder to cast for beginners. I suggest a pond so you don't have to worry about current and how to work it with your fly line, etc. Keep it simple. In fact, I would suggest practicing casting in your back yard before you even tie on a fly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the suggestions and help. I am capable (though by no means expert) at casting, I just am trying to find a place that I can figure out what works best for what species and also not get hung up in brush or people. Most of the places that I fish have a lot of shoreline issues like brush and trees, so the usual spots are pretty much out. Some have suggested Portage Lakes. I am not sure where any real open areas are. Any suggestions?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience on Portage lakes, but the area of Long Lake by the dam is open, as well as the boat ramp area on the north side of Turkeyfoot. I'm sure there's other fly fishing friendly areas throughout the lakes, but those are two that come to mind..

·
Registered
214 Posts
:Fclick on the link that was provided above, it will give you a list of maps and the maps show fishing spots. as for the rocky river there is plenty of shore access as a large stretch runs thru the rocky river metro park.

·
Powderfinger
7,765 Posts
Try the beach at the new State Park off of Manchester Rd. Pleanty of open areas behind you to cast. Chippawa creek just south of you. The parking/ramp areas at Nimisila will give plenty of open areas to cast too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chippawa creek just south of you. The parking/ramp areas at Nimisila will give plenty of open areas to cast too.[/QUOTE said:
Is there anything in Chipp Creek? Only access I know of may be off of 585.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got back from meeting Hipwader for my first real attempt at fly fishing. I just wanted to make a post explaining how much I appreciate this site both for the knowledge gained and for the helpful folks willing to share that knowledge and experience. Thanks again Hipwader, we'll do this again soon.

OHF1

·
Registered
372 Posts
If ya wait a little longer, you can catch steelhead at basically any river flowing into Lake Erie. The best are the Rocky, Grand, Chagrin, Conneaut, Ashtabula, Vermilion, and Cold Creek. They can also be caught at the Cuyahoga, especially at the Gorge and the Rt 82 Dam. All of these would easily be within an hour of the Akron area. Hope this helps. Good luck out there!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Why wait a little longer???
Get into them now!!

I got a steel off of mouth Black river in Erie last Friday!;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts