close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

fly-fishing lessons?

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by WINative, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Hi all

Does anyone know where a beginner can get some basic instruction (e.g. setting up, casting, retrieves) in the Cleveland area? I've heard good word-of-mouth regarding TMF Sports Shop in Ravenna. Anything closer to the east side of Cleveland?

thanks,
    JM

2. I think they may have a fly fishing school / place down near Dover, Ohio. It seems like I saw one going on 77 South before Dover, Oh.

3. JM,
    TMF is super, however, if you want a place closer to Cleveland, check with the "North Coast Federation of Flyfishers"..website http:www.ncff.net/
    I met some of the folks at a flyfishing show last spring & they can tell you every shop in the area, plus you can join & they'll help with casting, tying, etc. Welcome to this great sport!

Triton Bill,
    The shop you refer to WAS Getaway Outfitters (right next to I77). I live in Canton, and my wife has a friend who lives in Dover...Getaway closed a month or 2 ago. I didn't even know until AFTER the "going out of business" sale, darnit!

4. Thanks Gents, I'll look into NCFF.

Best,
    JM

5. BrooklynBounce

BrooklynBounce Just Keep Truckin On!

The Backpacker Shop in Avon has classes through their fly shop. The class is all day on a Saturday with lunch included for $135.00. It is held at Sunnybrooke Trout Club out in Sandusky and the fishing there is incredible.