fluorocarbon tippet question

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by corndawg, Nov 11, 2007.

1. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

First off this question pertains mainly to steelhead but I guess it could also pertain to other types of fishing too. I’ve read that as the river water clears and gets lower that the tippet section of the line should be scaled down to a 6, 4 or in gin clear conditions an unbelievable 2lb test and in higher, dirtier water that a heavier tippet can be used. My question is if you’re using a fluorocarbon line and it’s suppose to be invisible under water what difference does it make. I would like to use an 10lb fluorocarbon tippet to make sure I don’t have as many break offs. Will using a heavier fluorocarbon tippet all the time reduce my hook up percentage?
    Thanks in advance.

2. 'My question is if you’re using a fluorocarbon line and it’s suppose to be invisible under water what difference does it make.'

It isn't invisible..............It is less visible. I have watched steelhead shy away fron 4# Fluro in very clear smooth water.

3. If you want to stay with a little heavier tippet go longer; but you can't always make that work. I will usually fish 8# flouro if the water has a tint to it. As the water clears I will go down in size; but, will also lengthen my tippet. I have fished as long as 6ft tippet in very clear water. One thing to remember, with the smaller diameter tippet you should be going down on fly size also.

Dan

4. fishing pole

fishing pole Off the beaten path

Try this;

Take a piece of mono and flouro and put them in a glass of water. Whats the difference? I am not saying there isnt a time or place for flouro but I tend to stay away. Takes forever to break down when lost in the river also.

5. Good point, but unless you have trout vision you will nto be able to tell the difference.

6. fishing pole

fishing pole Off the beaten path

I just might!!!;) ;)

7. Clear Water.. thin line.. smaller fly selection...just that simple..
    although I have learned from Some guy named John Nagy... tie a small fly on a bigger hook, and that will help with landing... So get the soft long noodle like flyrod out when the water is clear if you want hookups..

8. ..lol.. and a type too man o man .. lol..