close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fluorocarbon line vs. leader material

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by archman, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Is there a difference between fluorocarbon line, which usually comes in a spool of 200 yards vs. the fluorocarbon leader material, which usually comes in about 25 yards of the same brand. I currently have the Seaguar Fluorocarbon line which I used as leader material last year, but I've had a lot of break offs with it this year. I'm just wondering if I should buy the kind that is specifically made for leaders.

2. Seagar Is Exactly That..made For Leaders..i Have Been Using 25# For Trolling Erie And Havent Had Any Break Offs ........

3. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

Most of the time when my customers complain of breakoffs when using fluorocarbon as leader material, it's due to their either tying the wrong attachment knot, failing to lubricate the knot properly when tying, or cinching the knot down too fast. Fluorocarbon is extremely subject to damage from friction generated heat. Draw the knot down v-e-r-y- slowly. Using the wrong knot when attaching a leader to a braided or fused mainlinewill result in the braid cutting the leader material when put under stress.

4. Pike

Pike

Corey,
    In your post you write about using the wrong knot. What type of knot do you reccomend. I have been using a uni to uni knot and have not had many problems. Until now I have never thought about the problems that friction might cause. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

5. Corey

I also use a double Uni knot for splicing Fluorocarbon to Fireline and Power Pro. It's the best I've tried but I'd sure like to find something better. It tends to give up right at the downline side of the knot when it does fail, meaning that the super line is cutting the Fluoro. I haven't had it fail under stress from fighting fish yet but on major snags that's where it fails.

6. Pike

Pike

7. Corey

Thanks Pike! I went to your link and tied the knot two times. It seems to be a very strong knot and as small in diameter, although longer, as the double Uni. I'll tie one of my outfits up with it and test it next time out.

8. But what is the difference between the leader material which is around $10 for 25 yards, and the one that is $14.99 or so for 200 yards? Is it the same stuff?

9. Corey

It has been around for years but has always been limited to leader material for heavier saltwater applications due to its' stiffness and lack of manageability on smaller freshwater gear. The fluoro that's being sold today for freshwater is a technologically advanced version, made to be less stiff and more manageable. The small, leader spools are pretty much the old style fluoro, too stiff to use on a complete spool. Either one will do for leader material for light to medium freshwater and saltwater applications, but the original is a tougher product if you are targeting heavier fish or working around abrasive structure.

10. Ok, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the information. I heard that fluoro becomes brittle after awhile, so I might just have to replace it. I'm tying the same knots as I tied last year.