close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fluorocarbon Article - Best one I've read.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by TritonBill, Mar 3, 2005.

1. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Good article Bill. I've been meaning to try some. I have so much line allready that I have a hard time justifying buying more though.

2. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

I've been using it for 4 years now and that article tells way.
    Thanks Bill.

3. MAINAH

MAINAH Little Member

What's the problem with putting fluorocarbon on spinning reels. The article did not really cover this issue. It said it's better for baitcasters and spinning reels shoud use the coated stuff.....why? All I've ever used in the past was mono. I picked up some Stren 10lb clear Fluorocarbon to put on one of my spinning reels, just to give it a try.($5.00 at wally world) What potential nightmare is instore for me? Thanks as always.

4. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I use P-line flouroclear. Darn good stuff that is.

5. I've used Flourocarbon with my spinning rods with no problems. I've used both Vanish and also Sunline. You should be ok, I wouldn't worry about it.

6. I used Yo-Zuri Fluoroclear and thought it had too much stretch for me. I loved everything else about it. I think Buzzman had some knots slip on him and he isn't using it anymore either. I'm not sure what brand he was using.

Eric

7. That is a very informative article.

I have switched most of my rigs over to superline because I love the sensitivity and no strech aspects. However, the one thing that is the biggest drawback for me when using the superlines with jigs is the bouyancy of the line. I have a hard time staying in the strike zone. I have done a bit with flourcarbon leaders last year and plan to do it again this year. The thing that I struggle with getting a reliable knot between the flourocarbon and the thin superline. I have read some threads concerning these knots. I just need to sit down and practice at home.

8. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

used yo-zuri all year and i think, maybe i had one knot fail and I lost two fish to break offs, the line is amazing if you ask me.

9. stake those knots down with a drop of super glue and your good to go...

10. That is my plan for this year.;)

11. I had trouble with Vanish in the past and wanted to try a bunch of different brands last year. The BPS fluorocarbon really let me down, I don't think the knot slipped, but looked like it "shattered". Also, the line right off the spool was very rough and didn't feel like the diameter was consistent.

I do like the sensitivity and the abrasion resistance that some of the lines did exhibit. One of the only other drawbacks is... it can be very tough to see for you line watchers out there! I was giving myself headaches on windier days trying to pick that line out.

I did like the P-Line Fluoroclear, and am giving Sugoi a go this year, but I still have a lot of confidence in mono (and have some monster filler spools to work through). I think I'm going to keep two rods spooled up with the Sugoi this year (a spinning outfit with 8# and a baitcaster with 14#) for clear water - everything else will be mono or Power Pro.

One last thought on the fluorocarbon - I was used to using a lot of 12# test on my baitcasters, pitchin' worms and craws into grass patches, laydowns, etc and I tried using 12# fluorocarbon in the same applications where I may have only had 25 feet of line out or less during a hookset. In hindsight, I would probably use a higher rated test with fluorocarbon to offset the big swing that I just cannot suppress.

12. thanks bill for the article,i use p line floroclear line ,i like real well.i think it works great on my spinning reels. it has great knot strenth and abrasion resistance and low memorey. baby bass :) :) :)