close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flouro as Leader Material?

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by bubba k, Jul 2, 2007.

1. I am leaving for a trip to Fletcher's Pond this Thursday, and I had been planning on trying 55lb test seagur flouro as my leader material. I have fished a few pressured lakes for pike over the years and found that using steal leaders yields less strikes than directly tying. I'm not sure whether or not it is because they can see the leader or if it is hurting the lure action (or a combination of both), but I definitely get less strikes when using them. When direct tying, I have had my share of cut-offs, but most all of those instances were when using smaller, low profile, lures that were inhaled. I got the idea of using flouro when in Florida and on a guided trip to Cave Run. Many of the guys in Florida are using it as leader material. I also fished with a guide on Cave Run Lake for musky a few months back, and he too was using a heavy flouro rather than steal. I'm just hoping that 55 lb test is thick enough to handle not being cut off. I compared the various diameters of each, and the 55 lb test seemed to be limp enough while also having being thick enough. What are your thoughts?

2. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

I am not a fan of using leaders at all. I think they create as many problems as they solve. You should ask yourself two simple questions: Do I need a leader? Why?

If you need a leader to prevent bite-offs then will a flouro work for this? Will it sufficiently prevent bite-offs? What's the difference between 80lb braid and a 55lb flouro concerning bite-off probability?

I know a fish can't bite through wire. Though, I had a muskie break a wire leader earlier this summer so is wire really better? The leader I had break was a crimp style so is the twist style better?

You see, to answer your question I think I have added more questions than definitive facts as solutions so clearly this subject is kind of tricky.

If you do use the flouro's be sure to report back with how it worked out.

CG

3. I would say if you were using 80# braid as your mainline then a leader is a non-issue but not many do that. I do have one rig the I use in Canada that has 50# Power Pro and I really don't worry on it about a leader. The only ones that I have at times used them for were say 10 Fireline or mono setups (8-10#). I have used steel leaders at times over the years but I have gone totally without often times. However with some of the recent discussions here I am going to buy some heavy flouro leader material and give it a try again. I have used flouro leaders often in saltwater fishing because it seems that about every other fish swimming around can bite you off. If it is a good enough option for many of the saltwater fishermen then it should work for freshwater as well.

4. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

On the Musky Hunter Magazine message board many of the guys there that fish muskies exclusively use the 80# Power Pro includeing the magazine editor Steve Heiting(spl?). I have 50# spooled now, but I am thinking of upgrading. Also, I know of a few Ohio anglers that target skis that have said they use 80# pp. I think it is a bit much for casting, but for trolling I think the heavier stuff is not a bad idea. Also, we troll about 3.5 to 4 mph and I really don't think muskies or pike have a chance to actually see a leader(steel or flouro) at that speed. They are simply reacting to the bait.

Again, for casting the game is altogether different.

My uncle had 50# pp snapped at Clearfork earlier this year(he said it sounds like a shotgun going off). I had a 50lb steel leader break. Now, I know I made a mistake and I don't know if my uncle did or not, but after these 2 occurences I am seriously considering the upgrade.

CG

5. I have 80lb PP on two muskie rods and 100lb PP on another.

Why so heavy? I do alot of fishing in and around timber. The heavier line is more abrasion resistant when I come in contact with the timber especially when I have a fish on.

It seems (at least to me) that the 80 and 100 do not backlash as easy as 50 and 65 and when and if you do backlash, the 50 and 65 have a tendancy to break and your lure goes flying. Nothing like losing a $20 lure because of a backlash.

Now as far as leaders go. I always use a leader. Single strand wire. Usually I cut the snaps off and replace them with a split ring. (Eliminating yet another possible equipment failure) I have never personally used flouro as a leader, so I can't comment on them, but if you do decide to use them go with the 130lb test.

I would hate to see any Muskie or Pike die because they have a mouth full of hooks and can't get them out.

6. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

I am curious why you use a split ring rather than just making a haywire twist with your single strand directly to your lure and to your PP main line...even less hardware to fail...am I missing something (a pro tip perhaps)?

7. I guess my answer was with more casting in mind than trolling as that is what I do most of. And not all of the lures that I am tossing up north for pike are big heavy baits and thus they do not work so well with heavier braids. I can see when you are tossing large muskie baits where you could still get decent performance.

I am not a muskie fisherman so I would say that any of the responses from our muskie fishermen here carry a lot more weight than mine. As far as the toothy critters my experience on them is primarily pike fishing in Canada.

8. I troll, I use 80# seguar flourocarbon 3 to 6 ft long with sampo's sometimes I use braid also for leaders.. Leaders with a small catch on top keeps weeds off your lure

9. The twist has its own downfalls, if not done properly it can break, or come undone. Also for ease of changing lures I use the split rings.

Split rings have a far less chance of failure than the snaps. Muskie and Pike teeth have been known to open the snaps, and after time the snap can break because of being repeatedly opened and closed.

It is easier to cast the smaller lures with heavier line if you use a longer rod. I cast 1/2 oz lures with 80lb Power Pro using an 8' rod without a problem.