Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be in Islamorada, in the Florida Keys the last week in April. It's such a great time to fish there that I don't know what to book. Any opinions?? Offshore, Backcountry, Reef, Fly, Specific Guides. I have plans and favorites, but we are always looking for experienced advice.

Thanks In Advance! We like Really:B

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,158 Posts
Was there for two weeks in late February (at Marathon Key).
We spent a lot of time fishing the bridges. Can'tsay enough about
Captain Pip's in Marathon - their rental boats are great, the even have GPS
coordinates for spots entered in. They put us right on the Spanish Mack,
and we killed 'em. We nad the best luck from shore at the
bridge over Ohio-Bahia Honda cut which is just south of the seven mile bridge-
nice snapper and grouper.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'll be in Islamorada the week of 5/20. I can't wait! My buddy has a place down there around mile 75, this will be my second trip to Islamorada. My friend's family has been going down there for years and always uses a guide named Izzy. We'll be going out with him next month. Great guy. He put us on tons of fish when I was down there 2 years ago in April. If you want I can get his info for ya.

·
Registered
571 Posts
ill be in key west tarpon fishing 5-15 to the 17th with capt merritt white

call bud'n marys marina for tarpon and offshore charters---a bunch of guides work out of there

ive also used capt dave wiley in the middle keys who is very good also

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
Tarpon Should Be There Then. If You Get One About 125 Lbs You'll Remember It For Life.:)
I can attest to that statement...I went tarpon fishing for the first time right under the 7 mile bridge in 2004 and hooked into a 125 lb'er :B ...beginner's luck I guess...took about a half hour to get the beast to the boat (had her close two or three times, but away she went)...my wife hooked into one and it just headed for the Gulf...never turned the fish...our guide claims it was bigger than mine, but aren't all fish that don't get caught bigger? Was an awesome experience. I hope you do well while down there...you will not want to come back to our fishing if you do.

I also caught a 30# Cuda...nice bonus!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sounds like Tarpon is it for us. I have already booked a couple of evenings with John Gargan on
:! "A COUPLE A BUCKS" :! out of Whale Harbor Marina in Islamorada. He did Offshore for years, but his knees and back couldn't take the pounding anymore. He sold the offshore boat to a new guy (not nearly as good) 3 years ago and started the back country service. I fished with him may times before and again this past January. I'll post some pics in 3 weeks.

Tight Lines,

brewkettle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts