florida crappies

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by slab sider, May 4, 2008.

1. slab sider

slab sider master member

her are some of our tipacel crappie here in fl.

010.JPG 034.JPG

2. BigMha

BigMha QQn 4 that "ONE" big fish

lucky...nice fish

3. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Very nice fish!!! I used to live in Florida when I was younger. I remember the cappies being huge.

4. Oh, Chaunc catches them kind all the time up here on his miracle spoons!
    Just kiddin, Chaunc. I know you get an occasional smaller 14-15 incher!!

5. ....Have talked to a few guys who has fished Fla. ... and from what I was told this is the normal size ....is this true or are these called big fish down there...Not being smart guys I don't know ..never fished down there...
    :confused: GOOD FISHING GUYS

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  6. slab sider

slab sider master member

theas are the avaredg down here 14 to 15 inches and wen you get 25 to 30 of them you got a mess moest lakes down here have a 25 to 30 fish limit not like ohio were you can fill a cooler and keep going lol.

7. I lived on Lake Okeechobee for the last 20 years, fished most of the time for crappies. Those fish that size used to be plentiful, but in the last 10 years the size isn't there or the fish. They lowered the limit to 25 in hopes that would help with size and abundance, but it isn't working.

8. slab sider

slab sider master member

well we fishthe st. johns river just north of lake munroe and thay had a 12 inch limet fo about 6 years and then thy lifted it a few years a go and it made a big dirence on the size of the specks so we dont keep any thing under 12 inches still eaven you can now

9. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

They grow them big down there...I was bass fishing one winter down there and couldn't keep the crappie off my jerkbait...some of them had to go 3lbs easy. Biggest crappie I've ever seen.

10. slab sider

slab sider master member

the one holding up the fish is my fishing partner and we were just talking about were we are going to go tomarow we have a nuther lake rite in orlando that has a depth of 33 ft. and at this time of the years thats were thay hang out and it a clear spring fed lake the showlows are allredy in the uper 70s so thay go deep were the walter is cooler and we can loa the fish box so thats the plan for tomarow

11. ..... Sure wish I was 20 years younger I would have to make a trip down there and try to catch some of those monsters...Sure is nice to see Pics. of Crappie that size....SlabSider as you can tell I Love my CRAPPIES too...,My biggest up here was a 14 3/4 incher and I almost fell out of the boat ...after it was netted...Keep up the good fishing....
    :F ...GOOD FISHING GUY...:G

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  12. Nice fish. I'm hoping on getting some Ohio slabs next week..

13. slab sider

slab sider master member

wats nice down here we arnt limitted to just two pols a pice we run spider rigs withe 8 to 10 poles and trol fast anuf gut to keep the baits moveing .

14. ugh your makin me sick,seems like ya gota go outa state anymore for trophy fish unless your on erie.

15. slab sider

slab sider master member

well yall be glad to know that me and my fishing partner are mooving back up to ohio we are both from up there he grew up in bazeta twn. and i grew up around lake milton him and i have ben friends and fishing partners for about 20 years so hope to see yall on the lakes in a few weeks or sooner.