close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Florida Beach Snook Report (with pics)

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by SteveGibson, Jul 20, 2008.

1. We're having our beach beach snook season in years. I've been doing it for 25 years and can't remember a season this good. Lots of fish and plenty of big ones.

We sight-fishing these cruisers in the surf. They're great on fly rod.

I use 6-weight with a sinktip line. Top fly is my Wild-Eye Snook Fly.

The season should continue into September.

My average trip has is 19 snook.

I fish around Sarasota where I live.

BTW, I grew up in Fairborn and have been here since 1975.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Making me jealous! Do they cruise the beach in the mornings? I feel like I've seen them before and thrown everything I have in the box at em with no luck. I know you fly-fish but do you have any tackle recommendations?

3. Sure, if you use spinning gear, I'd suggest medium rod, 101- to 15-pound line, 25-pound fluorocarbon shock tippet, and a 1/8-ounce jig with gold plastic tail, D.O.A. Shrimp or MirrOlure MirrOdine. That should do it.

4. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

You are bringing up some sweet childhood memories...I grew up in Sarasota. Ever hit Phillipi Creek in the winter for them? My personal best was a 19lb'er that hit a Berkley Finger Mullet in January.

5. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Great pics! Thanks for sharing

6. Oh, heah, Phillippi Creek is well-known for winter snooking. When the Boston Red Sox trained here in the 1950s, Ted Williams and Curt Gowdy used to fish Phillippi nearly every day.

A 19-pound snook is a good one by anyone's standards.

7. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

That is awsome. I love fishing the Gulf. Great pics.

8. Grew up fishing on Manasota Key (Englewood) & snook are great gamefish.
    Glad to hear the population seems to be up (any comments on this?).
    Thanks for posting.
    Lando

9. Ah, the great fight of the snook. My mom lives down there (longboat key), we catch them off the beach by her place. Awesome pics!

10. I have no clue why the beach snook fishing has been so good. It's the best I've seen in 25 years. If you can get down here, it's virtually guaranteed if conditions are conducive.

The weather hasn't been the best.