Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sky Vertebrate Water Fisherman Sleeve

Water Smile Shorts Mammal Fisherman

Water Vertebrate Boat Fisherman Fish

Well it’s that time of the year again, our winter months in Florida. This year has been a challenge with the damage done by hurricane Ian. Not only did it do some damage to the house we stay in, but it really changed the lake. The part of the lake that I fished the most, the bottom of the lake is now covered with debris, a lot of dead vegetation and dock wood, covering the rock piles and shell beds that were there. So it has forced me to explore other parts of the lake, and that has worked out great so far. I have an older friend that I have been trying to get a double digit bass for a while, and on January 2, it finally all worked out and he got the largest bass that has been in my boat, an 11 pound 13 oz. Monster on a drop shot and spinning rod. He was so excited, and that really made my year. Then they just keep coming, the next day I got a 10-2, and then on the 7th got my new PB at 11lbs 9oz. So far in the two months we have been here just over 600 bass have been in the boat, don’t know if it can get much better, but February and March are usually the best two months, so I’m hopeful as to what might come, but counting my blessings for sure. Thanks for listening.

· Registered
287 Posts
Those are some tanks Tim!!
Keep the pics coming of the fish,sunshine,blue skies helps us get to spring.
View attachment 502874
View attachment 502875
View attachment 502873
Well it’s that time of the year again, our winter months in Florida. This year has been a challenge with the damage done by hurricane Ian. Not only did it do some damage to the house we stay in, but it really changed the lake. The part of the lake that I fished the most, the bottom of the lake is now covered with debris, a lot of dead vegetation and dock wood, covering the rock piles and shell beds that were there. So it has forced me to explore other parts of the lake, and that has worked out great so far. I have an older friend that I have been trying to get a double digit bass for a while, and on January 2, it finally all worked out and he got the largest bass that has been in my boat, an 11 pound 13 oz. Monster on a drop shot and spinning rod. He was so excited, and that really made my year. Then they just keep coming, the next day I got a 10-2, and then on the 7th got my new PB at 11lbs 9oz. So far in the two months we have been here just over 600 bass have been in the boat, don’t know if it can get much better, but February and March are usually the best two months, so I’m hopeful as to what might come, but counting my blessings for sure. Thanks for listening.

· Administrator
11,436 Posts
View attachment 502874
View attachment 502875
View attachment 502873
Yup cant stand you :D :D:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

· Registered
69 Posts
What a beautiful bunch of fish! I’m heading down to the keys in a couple weeks with my family and my 8 year old would go nuts for a bass half that size. Any tips on south Florida bass fishing (obviously north of the keys!) from the bank?

· Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not familiar with that area at all, I would say live bait might be a good option for a youngster. Maybe try to find some canals to fish, I’ve heard they have peacock bass in them also. Have a great vacation with your family.

· HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,680 Posts
Have fun,,, I can't wait to see some of your pictures!?
If your anywhere near Alligator Alley, stop at the bridge overpasses & toss some rooster tails around,,,, or slow crank, pop & stop a surface plug back real slow. We had a ball with the monster gar, & even the smaller gators will chase it back to shore.
I have some pictures here somewhere, where a 3" gator actually came out of the water,, while still chasing a yellow Beno plug that we were dragging in!
lol,,, all of the other 'Ohio snowbird sissies' took off running for the van.

8 Year Old.
Check out the Inlets, backwaters & coves. Specially at night. Make sure you have a flash light, stiff narrow shovel & boots.
At low tide, walk around the shoreline looking for holes in the sand. Dig up crabs for bait. Toss or drop them down along the bridge columns for fish bait. You can also see all kinds of species of fish, crabs, shrimp, & maybe even some flounder hiding real close to shoreline just outside of the swamp grasses.
Good Times.

How to Catch Fiddler Crabs for Sheepshead Fishing Bait - YouTube

Fishing Live Fiddler Crabs On Docks For Whatever BITES! - YouTube

1 - 15 of 15 Posts