close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

floor repair, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ocdfishguy, Sep 3, 2005.

1. A friend of mine has a 24ft Thompson, I helped him fix the floor once before, that part is fine, but the rest of the floor is shot. He took the boat up to a repair shop and they told him that the floor was shot,all of the stringers were shot and that the wood around the motor and rear of the boat was shot. The guy told him one big wave and the rear of the boat would fall off. From what I saw durring the repair two years ago that is most likley the case. Ruff price $14000 for the repair. He thinks the price is high, I told him that to fix it they are going to have to strip the boat down to the shell and start from scratch. With the amount of repair that needs to be done to the boat will it be safe? Is it even worth saving?

2. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Muskie Chaser

It's a Chore and probably worth the money, but how much do you like a fixed older boat, with a little payment. (or new boat, big payment) I am going to start reworking boats on the side. I don't think i would tackle that one, but would be interested in doing some smaller ones. I have a 1963 G3 tore apart right now, getting a new transom and flooring also some fiberglass work. I don't do them quick but they are right. I have a complete wood working shop sitting idle and with the price of gas I'm not doing much driving. Stringers are were the cost starts there custom made.

Fishcrazy

3. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

My buddy has a 19 foot sylvan and he was getting a lot of water in the bilge. He did some checking and found the plywood in the transom was rotted badly and the transom was flexing under heavy power from the 90 horse Mariner. He took the motors off and took the transom apart. He replaced the rotted plywood with new Marine plywood which he sealed first and then replaced quite a bit of the floor ( deck for us ex-navy men ) It took him awhile but he did an excellent job and it doesn' take on any water at all now. This is an aluminum boat and may be built differently than your Thompson.