close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Floating the LMR

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Mr. Basskisser, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Mr. Basskisser

Mr. Basskisser Hard Core Fishing Fool!

We're thinking about taking a float trip on the LMR, wondering if there are sections that can get you away from some of the heavier canoe traffic. We were looking at Ft. Ancient to Morrow, I know that is a heavy canoe area but we will be floating on a weekday, and 5 or 6 miles is about what we like on a float fishing trip. Is that a nice stretch of river for smallies? We biked Mather's Mill to Morgan's Livery a few years ago. That area looked nice and we wished we had brought our fishin' poles. Thanks for any suggestions!:)

2. Red The Fisherman

Red The Fisherman River Rambler

Good fishin' and should not be too busy on a weekday!

3. On weekdays there isn't much traffic. Ronnie

4. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

Not sure where you live, I am up in Greene Co. I put in at Trebien Rd. and went to Indian Riffle Rd. It is about 5 miles. Caught about 13 total yesterday in 3 hours. Nothing big. Biggest was a 12 in. LM...a bunch of 6-8 in. SM and 2 Rock Bass. Also saw, from my viewpoint in a kayak, a monster snake! :)

Very pretty stretch of river from I-35 to Indian Riffle. LOTS, and I mean LOTS of cover in the water in that stretch. Stumps, trees, etc...

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=26365&limit=recent

5. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

Sounds like you know the LMR pretty well, but I'll post this link anyway 'cause its a handy reference. It also lists three sections that aren't paddled by liveries....which would presumably mean less traffic! But as the page says, they don't paddle these for a reason, so be careful (dams, strainers, etc.)

LMR map link

CW

6. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

That link you listed with the map is very useful. The same guy has a map of the Mad River that I have used a lot. I have kayaked/fished the Mad from Springfield down to Huffman Dam, about 14 miles or so. His map helped. I have recently been doing the LMR and the first place I went was that map.

7. Mr. Basskisser

Mr. Basskisser Hard Core Fishing Fool!

Thanks for the info. Don't know the river too good at all. Only fished it once , up by Yellow Springs. It's probably a little over an hour to get to Mather's Mill from our house. Probably going to try that area. Don't like dealing with strainers and dams. But those areas will be in mind if we ever make a weekend trip. Thanks again!!