close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Floater fishing

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by RiverRat, Nov 8, 2004.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Im thinking of warm water times next year already...i want to try carp off the surface and have some great spots already in mind. Anyone care to list any baits, rods/reels recommended for this type fishing?

I have an 11ft. Daiwa rod thats 1.75 TC already and will most likely put one of my Quantum Energy EM7-5 reels on it(saltwater version of the old regular Energy reel, VERY durable and extremely smooth drag).Im also looking to get a shorter stalking rod for surface fishing for those tight tough spots...might lean towards my favorite rod brand for this one(St. Croix of course). I also have a wide assortment of "Euro" style floats from very short & light to long "waggler"...and of course some great balsa wood Thills.
    I know the UK guys use dry dog food and pellets, but im not 100% sure how to rig them correctly.

I know Centerpin reels are the craze, but im not much for them at all.

Ive been watching my Euro carp tapes and have seen lots of great surface catches..its got me going on this type of fishing.
    I have the full 9 tape set of Fox videos, plus the Gardner Carpwise 1-6, plus the Gardner rigwise/baitwise videos..i HIGHLY recommend them to anyone wanting to learn indepth "Euro" carping. I know ive learned a LOT of stuff for next year.... ;) :cool: :D

Scott

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i have a pond that im thinking about trying out this method..like i told ya at the outing, im thinkin real hard about that okuma avenger reel..its awesome looking..

3. crappielooker

im also going to try to float fish for the big head carp in the ohio river next year as well, time permitted of course..

4. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Hey , after our talk on the bank the other day about the Ohio river bighead carp...im now starting to wonder if all the big crashes, jumps, rolls we see all the time while fishing the Wheling area..are'nt bigheads?...always just thought of them as carp or buffs.

Scott

5. crappielooker

you never know whats out there until u try.. i say lets try for it..

6. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

And then you still don't know what's out there :D

There are carp as big as volkswagens out in them there waters:rolleyes: