close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Float Tubers

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by lureboy98, Mar 28, 2005.

1. lureboy98

lureboy98 Livin' the Lifestyle

Hey all of you guys that use a float tube, did you/do you have to register yours?

2. lureboy98

3. The way that I read it, it states hand powered, float tubes are foot powered. Think that we could fight it and win? [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. easternflyfisher

easternflyfisher BassHaveOvertaken

no i have not had to. i e-mailed DNR and they said i didnt have to as long as there was no motor.

5. lureboy98

Thanks eastern! I think i might go ahead and register it anywyas just to avoid any kind of grief...

6. easternflyfisher

easternflyfisher BassHaveOvertaken

yeah, good luck with fishing from your tube!

7. Message from Jenny Cave, Secretary, ODNR Division of Watercraft. www. ohiodnr com/watercraft.
    As follows...
    Dear Bill,
    If your "float tube" is a large inner tube with no Hull identification number and you do not use this craft as a boat, you are not required to have it registered in the state of Ohio.
    You are most welcome and have a safe and happy "floating" experience.
    Sincerly,
    Jenny Cave, secretary
    ODNR Division of Watercraft
    Sure hopr that it this helps everyone out. I suggest that you file this in case you have a run in with the authorities. Hope that this clears up
    things. Bill;)
    Are we happy now? I am!

8. I'm not sure that clears it up for me. I would think that we DO use them as boats. Having a motor or not doesn't have anything to do with it. I always "assumed" that if used on public waters they would need registered.

9. sgofish

sgofish AEP or Bust

:rolleyes: I've been contacted by "the man" while carrying my bellyboat at "Power" a couple time in the last 20 years. Not a word was said except eat well.

10. lureboy98

Thanks for the good luck wishes eastern. I fished from the tube once before and caught one bass which was pretty cool. After that I was kicked off Nimisila by an officer who looked dumbfounded when he pulled up to me. I dont think he knew whether it was legal or not so he kicked me off to be safe.