close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Float Tube

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jethro, May 19, 2004.

1. I saw a float tube on basspro.com for 30 dollars. There was another one for 35 that is the same with an open front I was wondering if there are any reasons these tubes are so cheap and if the open front really makes a difference. I probably wont use this too often so these look like they would be good for me. Just looking for some opinions from more experienced float tube fishermen.

link

2. Looks like a great deal, i would get on for sure. I like the round better than the open front because with the open front your legs tend to float up in front of you and get in the way. I love fishing from mine. A pair of flippers will cost about 30 bucks also but still at 60 bucks its a deal. I spent about 110 on mine and that was about 7 years ago.

3. Dingo

Dingo

Agreed. I believe that the open front style has lost a bit of it's original appeal after folks started using them for a while. It seemed like a positive improvement over the 'round' style on paper, but the possible negative of ease getting in and out of the round tube doesn't outweight the positives once in the water. I've used both and now only own the round style. Fins are a must, and can be had for a decent discount if you look around enough. A tube is one of those items that someone buys (or has someone buy them) that they might not like or will never use. Check ebay.

4. One of the guys at Kame's told me that the multi-chamber float tube have to be registered as a watercraft. Anyone "know" whats up with that.

5. I agree with these guys. I much prefer the round style. For $30, you can't go wrong. I'm assuming if your going to be on public waterways, it would need to be registered somehow. It really shouldn't have anything to do with how many air chambers it has. If your going to just use it on ponds, I doubt you need to worry about that.

6. I dont know about registration. I got stoped at aep once using mine and he didnt say anything about registration or anything, heck he didnt even check for a permit or license. He just wanted to know how we did because he was going that evening.

7. Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to go with the closed front tube. Hopefully I will catch some monster bass from this thing!