close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flippin Sticks?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by riverrat66, Jan 20, 2005.

1. A little help with a decision please.
    I'm only 5'6'' 160lb. and have had problems with 7' 6'' flippin sticks every
    time i try one and have had much better luck with a 7' with a slightly
    shorter handle than most flippin sticks. But looking at some of the
    lakes around here and seeing some real nice cover that just
    says ''flip me'' and of course a bud or 2 in my ear telling me
    ''get a flippin stick''
    I guess I'm a little lost as to what exactly is a flippin' stick.
    and yes I have all kinds of catalogs that have ''flippin sticks'' in them.
    thanks for any advice you can give.

2. A flippin' stick is nothing more to me than a rod you are comfortable flipping with. I have a 7 1/2 foot heavy rod, but how many times I've used it I could count on my hands. I also flip with a 7' medium heavy rod, and a 6 1/2 foot medium heavy rod too. It's all about being comfortable. I've heard that some pros are going back to 6' rods beacuse they can be more accurate fillpin' into tight spots.

Considering that a lot of the time here in Ohio I use smaller jigs or platics to horse skiddish fish out of tight cover, use a rod that matches the presentation. Don't get me wrong, I occassionally flip one ounce jigs around (when I'll use that 7'6 heavy rod), I mainly use a 3/8 or 1/4 ounce jig and that rod does not offer enough feel for that small of a bait. Find what rod you feel most comfortable with and go with it. if it's a 6'6" heavy or medium heavy or 7' or whatever, catching more fish depends on finding fish and coaxing them to bite.

Eric

3. The single biggest reason I see people lose fish pitching or flipping a jig is the hookset. I saw some guy losing fish last weekend on Bass Saturday ESPN. Feel is everything when your flipping or pitching. That's why you see a lot of guys holding the line or cupping the reel when the pitch or flip.

When you detect the slightest tick, the higher catch ratios come from reeling down until the rod is horizontal to the water and then setting the hook. When you lose the fish is when you set the hook with the rod high in the air. Set the hook with the rod in the 9 or 3 o'clock position, not in between.

Most people then ask, "but if the fish is walking away with the bait, won't he feel tension as you reel down?". Well, I just leave the bail open, let the fish walk the bait away, and when I get to 9 or 3 o'clock, I close the bail, and set the hook. That's why I'm a big fan of the Shimano Castaic reel to flip or pitch with. It has a thumb button high on the reel to allow for engaging the reel just before the hookset. Other reels may have this feature too, I just don't know about them. The reel might be more important in this style of fishing than the rod.

Eric

4. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

I like a 7' medium heavy rod. The big flippin sticks are too heavy to hold all day. I rarely flip, i would rather pitch my lure to its destination. I don't like to get as close as most flippers do. Find a rod you like with a lot of backbone and put your lure in the tight spots and you'll catch fish.

5. I hear ya, for 4 years now I have been most comfortable with a
    6' 3'' MH Daiwa light-n-tuff casting rod that was discontinued as
    soon as I bought it. I can put a 1/4 or 3/8oz jig on target all day.
    I have one mean sidearm roll cast and can pitch with it all
    day and when I need to I can go with a Browning-Lews 7' MH
    casting rod and can put a 3/8 to 3/4oz. jig in a tea cup @ 30 ft
    if I need to but is that enough rod to get all the rear of a
    big ol' bass out of the uglies ya'll have here in Ohio?
    maybe so maybe not thanks for the input Warpath.

6. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

I like a 7'6 heavy for fishing tight, it lets me put the bait where I want it and with its backbone lets me quickly hoist the fish in the boat. I like the longer rod for pitching too, it gives me more distance. The draw back is that the rod can be front heavy, which like marshall said they can be hard to hold all day. I'm going to see if I can get a set of screw in weights for the butt of the rod to help balance it more.

7. I'm only 5'7" and ahh 180+ lbs of solid something around the mid section ;) and I have used diff lengths rods to flip with all the way out to 8'6" before I settled on a 7'6" model and the only thing is I can tell you is are doing something wrong when flipping if you can't use the longer rods.
    The very first thing you need to do is only let out as much line as the rod is long and that does not mean you can't flip farther it means you need to control your fliiping... If you are flipping and the lure of choice causes more then a few ripples and very little noise then your casting not flipping...
    Line watching is more the norm then feeling a hit... It took me alot of practice to learn how to flip or pitch a lure with a longer stronger rod and just as much practice pulling the fish up into the air with very little to no turn of the reel handle...
    PRACTICE X3 and you'll see your catch rate increase...
    Now I don't know if you want to flip or pitch with your flipping stick so that too makes a diff in the choice length you will want to use and as always if it ain't broke don't fix it so if your catching fish with your shorter rods and have faith in them then screw your buddies and show them your live well...

BTW soon as I learned how to flip I found that I caught more bass in deeper water on drop offs and points :rolleyes:

8. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

Most rod company are make a 6 10 flippin and pitching rod but I like a 7 6 for more leverage and I can use it to get in to tight places.

9. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I use a 7'10" heavy action rod. In thick cover you need something with a lot of backbone to get them fish out.

10. "J"

"J"

Get hold of www.riverfishcustomrods.com he can make you what ever size you need, makes a fine rod and stands behind it. I have 3 of them and am extremely happy with them.

11. Ratman - skip the less expensive BIG sticks - go straight to the GLX line in G.Loomis.

The weight loss in the GLX blank will turn even a little guy like me into a skinny water madman - Im only 5'7" ( If Im lyin'- Im really 5'6" and 3/4)

I had same probs you spoke of until I broke down and spent the cash. $475 later I can honestly say it has changed my ENTIRE outlook on true flippn' - this stick will make you realize what is really eating a jig in 3 inches of water and you will not be tired after 12 hours of precise dropping!

My thoughts- very subjective - but I'm always right! :)

Nip
    www.dobass.com

12. Thanks to everyone for the words of wisdom.
    Nip you were right on the $ with the GLX info but at the last second
    I picked up a Kistler Helium LTA {lighter than air} and oh boy.
    Sold me right on the spot. 7'6'' one piece non-telescopic in a 7 power
    MH.Had the $ for the Loomis in my pocketand couldn't bring
    myself to put the Kistler down @ $230.00 it wasa steal.
    But I did get my 2nd Bronzeback Loomis. Its a SMR813C-SP
    and again once I picked it up it was sold. :)