Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm lookin into getting an actual Flippin' Stick instead of using my bionic blade. Any suggestions. I have a few in mind, but I'd like to hear of some expirience with any models. I'd prefer a 7'6" H action with a split rear grip, but I'm open to any ideas. The reel going on it will be a Abu Garcia Winch.

·
Tackle addict
2,036 Posts
A flipping stick is on my list too, so input will be interesting. I would like a custom one made. Lamiglas has the Certified Pro blanks in 4 and 6 power, 7'6", for $108.

Why the Winch? I would think you'd want a 6.x:1 gear ratio to get the bait back quickly. No? Also, the Winch has a deep spool, so I'm not so sure how flipping/pitching is with it. The STX is the same price and probably performs better for your application.

·
Just say no to bait!!
35 Posts
Check out the Powell line of rods. To me they are the best there is for the price! Very light, very fast, and strong. Great build quality, and the rod butts are the perfect length. I switched to them from G Loomis a few years back and couldn't be happier. Their website is www.powellco.com Email me if you have any questions!

Paul W

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I just picked up a Powell rod last week and love it. Have it paired with a E7 Curado and it is amazing. I'm going to look into maybe picking up another Powell rod here pretty soon might be something to look into.
But another to look into is Falcon. Their new line of BuCoo rods are definitely afforadable and really lightweight also has the split grip. I own a 6'10 for a t rig and small jigs. I believe the longest in the BuCoo is 7' though. The Lowrider series is a step up and I also have a 7'6 telescopic lowrider I use for heavier football jigs for dragging across deep points and heavy cover and it preforms amazing. I'll stop rambling but I would definitely check out Falcon rods and Powell rods before I would look into anything else.

I forgot to add both Powell and Falcon have split grips that are extremely comfortable.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Powell makes a 765 in both telescopic and regular blanks. I really liked the 765, but didn't keep it long simply because I don't flip a whole lot, and when I do, I actually like using the same rod I use for frogs, a powell 735 and a dobyns 735. The dobyns isn't a split grip, and is like $50 more than the powell so it might not be what you're looking for. But you might want to check them out anyway. I like the Zillion SHLA and a 50th Zillion as a reel, but would use a reel with centrifugal brakes if it was just for flipping, like a curado/chronarch/core or one of the revos. Just easier in my opinion but really prefer mag brakes for everything else.

You can get last years STX at Tackle Warehouse right now for about $120 or the 50th Zillion for about $195. The Revo premier is on sale as well. They have a sale going now 15% off everything with an additional 20% off clearance...

Oh, and as for Powell, they are great rods, even more so when considering the price. I own six right now and I don't think they can be beat in that price range.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Powell.

765 MH. Available in telescoping or one piece. Get the one piece if storage is not an issue.

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. I've decided to go with another custom rod built on a Lamiglas blank. If anyone is serious about fishing I STRONGLY recommend getting a custom rod built. They are definitely worth the extra money!! I just got my first one about 3 weeks ago and I couldn't be more pleased, and I know that I've caught fish I wouldn't have caught on any of my production rods.

·
Tackle addict
2,036 Posts
bgrapala - let's try to get the moderators to add a custom rod forum. Think they'll do it?

·
Master of Nothing
936 Posts
Depending on how tall you are the rod length will make a difference. I at first got me a BPS Extreme Woo Daves 7'-6" heavy action flipping rod but found it was too long for me at only 5'-2" tall. I kept dipping the rod into the water when I lowered the rod for flipping. After spending a couple hundred bucks, I finally settled on a St. Croix 7'-3" extra heavy Legend Tournament for my flipping and pitching duties with heavier jigs (1/2 ounce and up).

I would suggest stopping by a tackle store and trying out (go through the motion of pitching) different lengths until you know for sure what will work the best for you.

·
Registered
802 Posts
It would be nice to have a custom built rod if you can afford it, but if you are like me and cant, I will stick to my 2-15 yr. old Fenwick HMG flippin sticks. Caught a ton of fish on them and they are still going strong.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I love the Powell rods too, but the best flipping stick is still the Diawa TD-S green rods. The 7'6" H rod has a the perfect amount of tip that allows you to pitch 1/8oz baits forever. I have 3, all paired with BPS Johnny Morris Signature series reels with the flippin switch spooled with 65lb Power Pro. Learn to flip and pitch with the rod in left hand the whole time and the spool will automatically engage when you lift your thumb off. This has saved my butt many times flipping into heavy pads and brush.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts