close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flippin & Pitchen Rods & Reels??

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by KYBOB, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Just wondering what Flippin & Pitchen Stick eveyone is using along with the reels that you are using also. Don't really want to go the top of the line equipment. Would like to but I would like to go fishing also. Know what I mean. Wanting to stay in the intermediate range.
    KYBOB

2. I think the best flipping reel for the buck is a Shimano Castaic. I think I paid about $150 for mine and I love 'em. I also like the Pflueger Trion low-profile reel. I think those are about $100 and are good flipping reels; I used them before I got my Castaics. For rods I like St. Croix Premiums, they don't cost an arm and a leg but are still good quality. I've got a 7' MH and a 7'6" H St. Croix that can be used for flipping. I primarily use the 7' outfit for flipping in Ohio. I usually pull the Castaic off the 7' 6" rod and replace it with an Abu C3 and use that one for casting muskie lures unless I'm flipping down south where the big fish live =) The rods cost right around $100.

Steve

3. Old abu garcia 507 reels. By far the best flippin and pitchin reel ever made although hard to come by now. I have rods that telescope about a foot to 7' very good backbone to pull em out od the heavy cover and 17 lb test Stren.

4. I use the Shimano Castaic for pitching and flipping. The thumb bar to engage the reel is a great feature for this technique. If you can get an older model with the full thumb bar across the spool, even better. The newer models have a new design with depressions on either side of the reel for the thumb bar to be engaged on. And sometimes you just seem to whiff on it.

As far as a rod, I use a lot of different rods. But I mainly carry BPS Bionic Blades and a few Extremes. Someone else may tell you to go buy a GLoomis or a St. Croix this or that, but for the price I bet I land as many fish as those other folks with their pricier rods. I don't blame my equipment when I lose a fish. Just like a plane crash, it's usually operator error.

Eric

5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

i can tell you never owned a st. croix. they are expensive but the weight, grip and feel make it worth it in my mind, and i'm just a poor college kid. besides I could land a fish on a piece of willow, but i'd much rather use something that will feel better, but like you said, they are a little pricey.

6. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

for reels I use Shimano Curados in a low gear ratios (5:1:1) this gives me alot more power to handle fish in the heavy stuff

for rods I use All Star, I have a 7'6'' xtra heavy and a 7' heavy.

7. I think the St. Croix rods are worth a little extra money. One problem with pitching rods is they tend to be pretty heavy since you need some length and backbone to them. Weight is one area where the pricier rods can be worth the extra money. My St. Croixs are light and easy to pitch with all day long. Plus, I'm a big fan of St. Croix's customer service. I'm not sure what price range KYBOB is looking at but a little extra money on a rod might be worth it if he is going to do a lot of flipping.

Steve

8. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

the great thing about st. croixs also, is that they come in many price ranges

9. Sorry Johnnyboy, but I have on occassion had the chance to fish with not only St.Croix but also G. Loomis rods. Nice yes, but in my opinion not for the rpice you pay. St.Croix does offer a gret variety on price but I'll stick with my BPS rods. They've never failed me and and when my one rod failed on Lake Erie last year (spun an eye), they replaced it the Wednesday after, no questions asked. That's pretty good customer service too, I think. If you feel it necessary to spend a little or a lot more, God bess ya!

Eric

10. Take heart, I've seen Warpath on the Lake with a broomstick and clothesline flippin' and pitchin'.

:D

11. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

doesn't bother me any, It's just a personal preference

12. Hey Warpath - I like the BPS rods also - BUT think about this one- You spend say roughly $350 for a G. Loomis - if you snap it tomorrow or ten years later or ten times during the lifetime, you can use their expeditor service - send it back and depending on how quick you need it it costs either $20 or $45. No questions asked - unless you leave gorilla hair on it!

You figure combined with the exceptional quality of the blank and that kinda backing - over time you could save thousands and make more by detecting more strikes!

A GLX will truely become a time of epiphany in your angling quest!

Nip
    www.dobass.com

13. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

no one has mentioned reels much, I like the 507 too. the one I use has non-factory gears in it. makes for some easy flippin.

14. Buzz,

You're probably right, I can't seem to find the broom or clothsline recently so I better go check the deck of my boat!!!!!

Eric