flip over shanties..

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by peon, Nov 6, 2008.

1. peon

peon account delete

when i sale my pop up 2 man frabill shanty i want to get a nice small one man flip over and i have been looking at the clam scout, is that the one that i want to go with or is there a nicer one or cheaper and nice one to go with.. id really like to find a used one but i need to get mine sold before i can buy another..

2. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Try to find a store that has the scout out for you to look at and actually sit in. I think the scout is kinda tight inside, frabil makes one called the rover 1.5 it's got alot more room inside.

3. I sat in the scout and it was a bit small for me. I bought the pro and love it. It is a little tight for 2 but I have fished with my 12 year old in it on really cole days.

4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

the scout seems ok when you sit in it with nothing in it but once you fill all that floor space with stuff youll wish you had a pro. im lucky i bought a pro and i still love it, absolutely the perfect one man shanty. now they have changed the design of the seat assembly, i have the 2004 version which has no side to side rail, only front to back, im glad i have what i have. my dad has a later model pro, i dont like the design as much. the pro is a bit pricey though, around 330 new now i think. its really hard to beat though, im a huge fan of the trap pro. look at the cost as an investment of something youll use for years to come.

5. I like a lot of room in my shanty. So I took one seat out of the Guide model and made it a one man. Now I got plenty of room for all my crap I tote along. I agree with all the others go with the bigger model. While the investment is big up front it should last at least 10 years. That way its only costing 30.00 or less per season.

6. peon

peon account delete

anyone familiar with the frabill Recon i like the quality of my frabill and this one seems nice and cheaper then the fish trap . it looks like it would be big enough for me.. as i dont need the extra floor space. i dont use a vex or anything like that.. just need room for two poles and my body... and maybe a lantern..

and as for finding a store with them setup to look at.. the hole in the wall places close to me hardly have ice rods.. if i get a shanty i will probably order online..

7. hardwaterfan

i know what you mean. Dick's sporting goods nearby told me there not carrying any ice gear from now on, they just dont sell enough, which is understandable, but ice fishing just isnt respected in any of the stores i go to.

the recon looks really thin. 5" thinner than the scout and 15 pounds lighter. $30-$60 less than the scout though. prices are way up this year! the recon is 31" wide set up, you could somehow set up a table against a wall 31" away and see how that feels. its gonna be very tight (youll have about 3" on each side of your arms fully dressed) but if you think youd be happy with it....it looks like it can be done but i personally would want more room. the other thing is its very light and that makes me wonder about the tent fabric. never seen one in person though.

good luck with whatever you go with!

8. Do yourself a favor. Don't buy something your gonna use alot just for the sake of savin a couple bucks, been there , done that. I owned a half dozen, " econo models ", was sorry and sold every one of em. The trap pro will cost ya in the short run, but after you use it a season, you'll appreciate the reasoning. The scout is narrow and on cold days, you want to get away from the walls a little. I use a vex, a buddy or focus 5 heater, and in the night a lantern. you need the extra room cause after 4 hours of setting, you need to move a bit and if things are cramped up, believe me, you won't be there long.
    Take the drive to cabela's or gander mountain, even bass pro, set in one, check em out, you'll be glad you did. ps, I'll be on erie as soon as the ice gets good, watch for the posts and come join us, you'll love it. Go someplace that alot of guys are icefishing, walk around, talk and look. Most guys will be glad to let you gawk inside :p !!! Take care and again, don't waste your money on the budget models . Mike

9. peon

peon account delete

the web site says the recon is made of the same material as the venture is made of. and mine is great for keeping out wind.. and i haven't tore it yet.. i think i could fish in that shanty and be comfortable.. the only thing is i might not have room for a propane lantern... and that's not really a big deal... if i end up buying a new shanty that will probably be my pick. unless i can find something else used.

actually my small bathroom tub is the same width as the recon and i sat a bucket in it and measured out the length on the fishable area in that shanty and its narrow but its fine but damn its long i think id have plenty of room for 2 poles and a lantern.. i cant believe how much room long wise you have.. my venture didnt have half that space in front of you..

10. Call cabelas in WV and see if they have some. Not to far from you. Just to make sure you buy what you want.

11. hardwaterfan

one last thought, just because 170 is a lot less than 330, or 200 or whatever, $170 is still a LOT of money.

12. peon

peon account delete

well i sold my shanty on here and am meeting up with lesteratv next saturday to buy his ht polar escape express flip over.. anyone have any tips or mods that can be done to these?? i have read online about different stuff done to fish traps just wondering about this ht one... id like to maybe install some rod holders.. or i could just use my wood ones i use when not in a shanty...

go ahead and list the mods you guys have done to your flip overs even if its not an ht...

13. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

peon......great for you......go get em. guy

14. anyone is welcome to see how mines built. home made canvass inliner nylon outside,folds down and up pretty easy! wood base i will say this! im in a t shirt in that sucker . lantern is all i need if your looking to build one this is the way to go

15. hearttxp

hearttxp Lake Erie Charter Captain

How about some pic's ? Your design ? or someone's plans you built ? approx weight ?? I'm interested ?? I have a Clam 2000 suitcase Model that is in need of repair ? So I'm just thinking ?

16. hardwaterfan

1. moved seat assembly to the left (im right handed)
    2. installed wear runners
    3. installed two eye bolts for anchor/made shanty anchor, stores in shanty
    4. invented/installed two rod holders that mount on the front lip of the tub
    5. installed four LED ropes, 2 on each bar over fishing area (aim those bulbs!)
    6. installed SLA battery holder at front left corner of shanty for LED lights
    7. custom built power cable running from SLA to LEDs
    8. installed carpet bottom in sled
    9. removed hinge from swivel seat to reduce weight
    10. discarded spreader pole. saved "C" end, converted it to a lantern hanger
    11. replaced stock pull rope with longer rope (much easier pulling!)

thats all i can think of. i usually do this stuff in the fall, thinking about the problems i faced the year before. the best mod i did was making those rod holders. before that i had rods laying all over the place, on the "floor", where i stepped on one and broke it, another time a fish pulled a rod in, and its just a big mess having rods laying on my minnow buckets, etc. the rod holders i have now are like rod holders for trolling in a boat. any mod should make some part of the ice fishing process easier or better in some way, has to be extremely durable, and easy to actually use. everything is more difficult on the ice, and ice fishing equipment takes a severe beating.

if you ever want any advice or need help brainstorming on a mod let me know.

17. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

Yep.......as i see it .....the man does know his modifications......Great job "hardwaterfan". Comfort and efficiency in this hardwater environment...does tend to add a certain degree of pleasure to one's outings........Jon Sr

18. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

You got any pics of the rod holder mod. you made? I just got a flip-over myself and thought something like that would make life alot easier. And what kind of battery are you using to power your lights? Something like a small tractor battery?

19. its been a few years since i built this one,, so i will have to go over it to see the exact material.... i wish i had some pics for you guys to see

20. peon

peon account delete

thanks for the list hardwarter.. i seen a post a while back about your rod holders and anchor and they both look great im sure i will use your ideas when i make some for mine ... i just wish i had this shanty already so i could sit in it and pretend fish lol..