Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My son and I recently jumped into the world of fly fishing. We are headed up near Traverse City for a week very soon and the lake on which we are staying has northerns, bass, 'gills, etc. I believe that I have the bass and 'gills covered with the handful of poppers and terrestrials that I picked up last week, but I am wondering about flies for northerns. Which are best? What I've seen online seem long and quite cumbersome once wet?

I absolutely love catching northerns, and to get one with the fly rod would be a big bonus. I was also wondering about the need for steel leaders and what brand was best for fly applications.

He has a 7wt BPS combo, while I picked up an 8wt RLS+ combo from Cabelas.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and good luck fishing.

·
grateful thread
226 Posts
Nice country up there for sure! If you are targeting northerns only, I would get Tyger wire. It is knottable and strong. I sometimes just use a section of florocarbon about 20-30 lb test for my tippet because it is less visable in case there are big bass around too.

Flies- Use big streamers, clousers, buggers, bunny leeches, etc.. Pike eat other fish and are not too picky. Great fun on a long rod. Post your results!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
6-8" flies like EP fibers works rather well on light rod. But be forewarned tho you may hook into muskies up there and they are huge.
Get some 60-80lb test hard mono for bite guards. Install a loop knot to fly and other end with approximately 8-12" long.

Have fun!

·
NE Ohio Fly Fisherman
195 Posts
There are only 2 Fly's I use for catching those Pike....Giant 2 3XL hook streamer 2x heavy - Mustad......I tie Zonker and the Zonker Bonker fly only for Pike and Bass...

Zonker - Use White, Black, Chartruse and Yellow Rabbit strips regular cut - not cross cut...use the 1/4 inch ones.

For the Body use Silver and Gold Mylar tubing....I use Silver on Sunny days and Gold on Cloudy days...

Zonker Bonker.....of all the pattern I tie...the All white produces the Best....Tie this one with a set of medium dumbell white with black pupils on top of the hook...the Zonker Bonker is designed to ride upside down thus reducing snags.

The body use White or Pearl Ice Chenneille or Crystal Chenneille....

here's a picture of both of them....The zonker takes about 15 minutes to tie...and the bonker zonker takes me 5 minutes to tie....I prefer tying and using the zonker bonker....has great movement and landed more pike on that one pattern than the regular zonker....even though I use them both

Attachments

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I only broke out the fly rod once up in Michigan, and caught a few small gills on poppers. It was tough to do (for me at least) out of a paddle boat.

Hunter and I had a blast in a neighborhood pond over the weekend with some gills and bass...here he is...smile says it all.

Thanks for the tips guys...more to come in the near future as we are both hooked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.