close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flex Seal??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by linebacker43, May 12, 2017.

1. linebacker43

linebacker43 S.S Mud Dobber

Anybody ever use it to fix there boat leaks? Have a few small cracks and I believe a couple leaky rivots. Just applied 3 coats to hopefully fix. Just wondering if anybody else has had any success with it ?

2. Not on a boat. Used it on a gutter and it stopped the leak. Spray can type. Worked until the ice got to it but the leak was still slower than it was originally

3. RMK

RMK

i used it on the inside of my aluminum live well. started out with the caulk type and must ve missed a pin hole and went back a second time with the spray can type and its good now. dont know how long it will hold up

4. snag

snag

I've used the spray under the sink on the pvc fittings and on my neoprene waders, had a crotch leak after trying goop stuff, went and sprayed it all over and no more leaks.

5. MassillonBuckeye

MassillonBuckeye I jig therefore I am!

Penicillin for the permanent fix.

6. Lazy 8

Lazy 8 Gone Fishing...

I personally think it's like putting WD on squeeky wheel. It will immediately stop the squeek, but it will be back soon. It the case of WD, it's too light of a lubricant. In the case of Flex Seal. Anything that comes out of a spray can, has got to be light weight. I can only imagine Mr. Sunshine will zap all the moisture out of it in a gutter, lickety split.
    Too light weight for me. It reminds me of spray undercoating, or what we sprayed in the trunks of old muscle cars. Remember that? It kept getting clogged? If you got it spraying, you didn't dare stop until the can was empty? Repurposed? Everything old is new again?

PromiseKeeper likes this.
  7. I used the spray can to fix a leak on a water bed mattress it was still full of water. It was done years ago still does not leak.

8. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Flex Seal is renamed silicon sealant. Buy a tube of black RTV and you'll have pretty much the same stuff. Ultra-black is a type that is used for gaskets and axle flange gaskets- very durable. Spray flex seal is Plasti-dip spray. Don't pay $20 a can for $8 a can stuff. Yes, it works- no, it's not permanent.

PromiseKeeper and Lazy 8 like this.
  9. Lazy 8

Lazy 8 Gone Fishing...

Amen brother. Also, I firmly believe it does everything it shows that it does on TV.
    But as I said, let the sun beat down on that gutter and see how long it lasts.
    If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.
    That stuff is gimmicky.

10. snag

snag

Yeah that's what the doctor said..

MassillonBuckeye likes this.
  11. linebacker43

I was waiting on this from someone.....LOL!

MassillonBuckeye likes this.
  12. linebacker43

Thanks for the replies fellas. Like I said it is a trial run. I applied 3 full coats on the bottom of the boat over the damaged areas. Will see here in a few days what this stuff is all about.

13. I bought a 14' aluminum boat a few years back and it had a couple rivets seeping. Checking on here people mentioned an epoxy named gulvit. It is a two part that stays clear and is made for boats. I've had the boat 5 or 6 years and still no leaks. I bought mine at west marine.

14. Ive never tried it, but I think Quackpot is onto something. If it is the real deal, places like West Marine would be selling it.

Lazy 8 and sherman51 like this.
  15. snag

snag

Well so much for my waders not leaking , out this morning and came home with a wet a&&$$, the stuff is a temporary fix.

PromiseKeeper and Lazy 8 like this.
  16. Lazy 8

Lazy 8 Gone Fishing...

Flex Seal, Oxi Klean, Genii in a Bottle, ShamWOWZI, Whocheecoo, I wouldn't give ya 2 cents for all of them.
    But then that's just my 2 cents worth. Who in the heck am I?

17. Had a couple rivets leaking on my boat when I bought it used a marine sealant (bought at Home depot or Walmart) on them on the inside of the boat and so far no leaks in 12 years.

Lazy 8 likes this.
  18. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

You know how Billy Mays died? He cut himself with a Tough Blade, dabbed the cut with a ShamWow and it sucked all the blood out of his body.

crappiedude and Lazy 8 like this.
  19. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

but the banjo minnow is a winner winner chicky dinner