close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fleas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishingful, Oct 27, 2004.

1. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

we had a cat for a short time and got rid of it about a month ago but it left some little friends behind :rolleyes: ...................what is the best way to get rid of fleas??????????? thanks.................jim :D

2. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Pick up a couple of cans of flea foggers from your local Walmart store. Follow the directions on the can and treat the area at least twice. Those little buggers have a nasty bite...they'll hit you 4-6 times before you even know it.

3. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i wanted to fog it but i dont think i can i live in a town home and the next store neighbor is expectingis that stuff toxic????? the wife is afraid that it will seap through the walls????? :rolleyes:

4. I have heard that fire gets rid of them permanently :D lol just kidding use the foggers

5. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Of course it's toxic...to the fleas that is. It will not seep through the walls. It's best to use them when you're leaving out of the house for an extended period. The best time is when you're leaving out for work, that way you can keep an individual room closed up tight for several hours. Or ask your neigbors to let you know when they may be leaving out for several hours and then let'em rip. :D

6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Put moth balls in your sweeper bags and vacuum several times a week after you fog the place.

7. I can't remember the exact time that it recommends to stay out of the area but if I were you I would just ask the lady when she will be gone for most of the day and do it then. They are not particularly dangerous after the air has cleared.

Another thing to consider is that when you do it you are not getting the ones that are in the larval or egg stage. That is why they recommend doing a fogging again after a certain period of time. I have not had to do it in a long time so I don't kow that time. But I do know that they say you will not get them all in one shot if they have eggs present.

8. If you have any other pets or tropical fish, you should remove them from the house and in the case of fish, cover and tape the tank closed.

9. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

It will take eight weeks to get rid of the fleas completely. First, you need to go to a extermination shop (look in the yellow pages). They will sell you a gallon of flea killer, and give you a small bottle of stuff to dump in the gallon. This particular stuff will kill MOST of the fleas, but will also sterilize the ones that live.

After that application, you want to seal off your cold air returns, and use the foggers that are available from Home Depot/hardware stores. The directions on these foggers say to clear the area for at least four hours. Depending on how bad the infestation is, you are looking at about eight weeks to totally rid the place of any and all live fleas.

I did an eviction last summer, and the dirtbag I had to evict left behind fleas by the thousands. I had to rip up the carpet, and it took over four months to totally illiminate the fleas.

A buddy of mine just went through the "cat with fleas" bit. For every flea you see, there are hundreds of eggs waiting to hatch. It took a long time, and many bites, before he got it under control.

10. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

the fogger aint going to happen what if i got a cat and put some of that flea killer stuff on it and let them dine on it for a while would that work???? the flea stuff makes them steril and kills them thats what the in laws said??????

11. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

flea problem isent that bad yet i have seen 12 in a month i just dont like feeling like dinner

12. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Treating the cat will do nothing. The fleas lay their eggs everywhere, carpet, draperies, behind the baseboards, you name it.

13. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

you gotta fog.... or they'll be back (po'd and hungry :) ) lol

14. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

well the motherinlaw brought ovet a 17 lb cat and we put front line on it i also have advantage to put on it it is supose to kill and sterlise the fleas the cat started biting as soon as we let it loose so we will try this first but if it dont work i will fog it (when the wife is gone ;) ) got to do something thanks for all the info i know what i got to do it is just a matter of doing it .......jim

15. All you are letting happen by delaying the fogging is increasing the flea population. Fog, let the treated cat stay in the house after fogging as any fleas missed will jump on the cat for a home, bite the cat and go steril. Fog again as directions say and you should be in good shape. We were infested once, how I dont know but used the above program and cleaned up the flea problem.

16. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Leave cat IN THE HOUSE while you fog. That way, you know you're getting them all.

That's a joke, of course. Sort of.

17. we have four cats-the fleas are the best part

18. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

I hate fleas we have a choc lab who is an inside dog and we have yet to see one flea in 3yrs but since he was a pup he has always had the shot for fleas and ticks etc and i hope it stays that way. Fleas are a pain in the well pain in anywere they land on ya.

19. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD!!! FOG THE PLACE!!! That is the way to get rid of them! I let in a "very personable" stray cat 4 years ago for a few days. I decided against keeping him, but he left me "little presents". To this day, that is the only animal that has ever step foot in my house, ever. I had to do 2 fogs, but it took care of EVERY FLEA! Basement and all. Just leave for the good portion of the day. That's it. Game set match. Around 10-15 bucks each time. Don't fiddle around with anything else... BOMB the place!!! :D :D

20. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

Word of caution on fogging......make sure the furnace and hot water tank pilot lights are out. There have been case of explosions when fogging with flames in the enclosed space.