close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flattie Question..........

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by smalliehunter, Oct 20, 2004.

1. smalliehunter

smalliehunter "The Mighty Wing Man"

The RRP has been hitting the banks trying to bank the elusive flattie. We have had great success this year as compared to previous years. I have heard the fall bite is the best (Oct/Nov), however i dont see the results. We are using bigger baits as suggested many times on here before. Could it be the level of the water was an issue? Will the rain "wake up" these flats or is the fall bite over and we should just clean up the gear and store away until spring????? Thanks in advance for all who respond.............

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Personally I think the fall bite may be over, never happened for me this year...Now the Ohio river being a larger river , the fall bite should continue for awhile as the water is warmer.

3. smalliehunter

smalliehunter "The Mighty Wing Man"

What is that magic water temp when things shut down......... i have heard 50-60 is the feeding temp........... :confused:

4. Smalliehunter I have been wondering the same thing,I have heard most of my life that the fall bite was best.I hope it happens soon :rolleyes:

5. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I have done my best for flattie on numbers and size, within the last 3 weeks. I am not an expert though. I have heard whenthe water gets below 50, the bite slacks off. I don't know this, just what I heard! If you want a better idea of the fall bite flatties, look under the Tourney section at the Cripple Creek results for Oct ! Some nice fall flatties there!

6. Well I have my fingers crossed,hoping for a decent fall and winter bite.The way I figure if you don't at least try you will never know ;)

7. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

i would figure that during the fall the cats would really be eating more than usual and start to fat up for the winter.

8. THarris

THarris CHASING THE BIG 'UNS

That is what we figured ... however we did not see it happen! This is our first year of really catching tons of flatties and we were really looking forward to the "fall bite". Too bad it did not happen for us.

Keep the responses coming guys -- is the flattie "fall bite" over .... is it a myth .... did it not happen this year ? ? ? (We are talking small to medium rivers here -- Little Miami / Great Miami .... NOT the Ohio River...)

9. The last fish that I caught out of the LMR was 3 weeks ago...about 7lbs. I fished several times since with not even a bump. Bite only occurred right at dusk. Haven't been getting enough sleep to stay up late like this summer. So, for me, nothing since the first week of October... I too am disappointed, but some of the guys on OGF have been catching in the Ohio via boat ....tanners & the power plant down there I believe.

10. Late Semptember and early October is the best time of the year in my opinion. I'll still catch them in late October/November but not in great numbers. They seem to start going deep and only the small ones come to the flats to feed at night. I am still going to fish for the untill the temp drops below 50. It's to early to put away my cat gear.

11. I have been out 2-3 times per week and have not gotten a flattie since the first week of October either. I fish the GMR and have been to 5 different spots, thrown every shape and size of live and cut baits, all to no avail. I have fished with a few other guys who are having mixed success, mostly on the down side of things.

12. You folks who hunt cats might want to check out the new Field and Stream, there is a good article in there about a guy who catches large (40-50# and up) cats year round and what his thoughts are. I'll let you read it and glean what you like.

13. Big_b16,

I think the big difference in what these guys are talking about and that article is that they are targeting flatheads. The article speaks about blues. I am no expert on either one but I have read other articles about blues being a good fish to target in cold water months. I am not sure that is the case based on some of the accounts here.

14. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

It's been cold, it might be over in the smaller rivers where the temps go down. There's always the chance that we'd get a warm spell & they turn back on ?? I don't have much experiance in the smaller rivers, but that would be my guess.

15. catking

catking Banned

The smaller river bite ( EFLM & Little Miami) is over as far as I know. Once the waters in these rivers reach the colder temps, the flatties shut down almost over night. They usually do not go on another feeding spell after this. These rivers will warm up a tad when we get warm temps outside, but not enough to get the brutes to bite again. The night time lows just keep the river temps to low, even though we get 70 degrees alot during the day. But even then its not until around 2 pm or so. I'm happy to hear the RRP had a great flattie year ;) . Good for you guys............. THE CATKING !!!