close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flatheads in the o'shay?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by CarpFreak5328, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Is there any in there? and if there is are there enough in there to worry about catching?

2. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Winkstyle got a nice one a few months back...http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14772&page=2&pp=10&highlight=twin+lakes

I made a lengthy reply about catfish in the scioto,should help you out some. Yes there are some up there, but they are hard to find in big bodies of water, without a fish finder. One of the Islands up from Griggs has been a legendary big cat spot. Not sure which island but Ive always heard stories about monster blues & flatheads being caught around it. As for above O'shay...Im sure there are some in there, just got to find em' which can take forever! (if you dont have a fish finder)

3. catking

catking Banned

Any creek leading into O'Shay is the place to look for flatheads in the spring. Submerged structure is the place to fish in the summer, be it rocks, trees, anything. I've seen this area, and there is for sure great structure..CATKING.

4. Was surprised by a 17lber at the face of Twin Lakes a couple of weeks back while drifting a floating jighead and minnow for saugeyes. One heck of a fight. Thought it was a big carp at first but the darn thing just wouldn't give up like a carp does after a few valiant runs, just kept pulling and pulling.

5. Ran into a gentleman one evening while scouting out some areas along the banks on Riverside Drive. He showed me one spot and just wasting some time after he caught some shiners we baited up and cast out for about 20 minutes, I hooked into a decent channel cat. The spot was in those pull-off parks just past the Zoo. Can't remember what area it was, they have letter designations, but I believe it was one on the first couple areas. It was just turning dark and we both had to be getting home so we didn't fish long but if we would have stayed I bet we would have hooked into a few more. He had told me about numerous catfish that he and his friends had caught from that area over the years. I don't know if the guy was a member on this site (I forgot to ask) but it sure was nice of him to share his spots with a total stranger. Very friendly guy. Nice to know there are still people out there that you can run into on the riverbank and not worry about whether they're going to rob or kill you.

6. Twin Lakes and Griggs? arnt we talking about O'shay around the zoo. Or is Griggs conected with O'Shay?

7. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Griggs Reservoir begins about 5 (?) miles down from the O'shay spillway. As for twin lakes, I have only been there once. I believe they are connected to Scioto above the Oshay dam...But I could be wrong.

8. I caught about a 12" flathead @ Griggs last year. I had never caught a catfish that looked like that but after describing it to my brother, he said that it could be a flathead and I confirmed it after seeing some pics on the internet.

9. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

what did you catch it on ltc?

10. DAVEM

DAVEM TOP WATER SMALLIES

Last year I caught several flatheads between 12 and 15 lbs. All caught below Oshay in the spring on twister tails. Yes cats love big plastics. I know it sounds like a fish story but the dnr was there when I caught the biggest one. He verified it as a flathead. Haven't caught any since. Shaner landed another for me that went 12 or so. Dumb luck?

11. Wow i figured there wouldnt be any in there to bad there not big enough to chase after.

12. I caught mine on a jig tipped with a minnow. It was probably a freak thing. I basically only fish Griggs in April and October.

13. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

We had several guys catch them this year in our tournaments (Bass). They were caught on everything from Tubes to Crank baits. I kid you not. My son caught one that was 22" long on a tube. I've also heard that more are being caught in both O'Shaugnessy and Griggs, The one at O'Shaugnessy were caught North of Home road bridge on the east bank. There are several areas you can pull off and fish. Same goes with Griggs. North of Fishinger Rd. bridge on the east bank. They seem to be in shallow water that goes out to deeper. Hope this helps. I can't tell you what to use since I've never targeted them.