close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flatheads and the weather

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Chuck P., May 28, 2007.

1. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

I'm trying to understand Flatheads a little better and hopefully catch a monster this year.

Can anyone give some insight into how the weather affects these fish in both lakes and rivers? I mean, do they bite better/worse/not at all in certain weather conditions?

I plan on visiting some prime Flathead waters this summer (NOW), fishing from the bank on the Ohio River and some Lakes I've been reading about, and I want conditions to ideal when I decide to make a drive.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

2. JUSTCRAZY

JUSTCRAZY Wurlds Wurst Spellor

Sorry to say, but time is the only answer. I have not found any pattern to these dang fish, and I hear the same thing from people with a lot more hours on the water than myself. I can take you to the Ohio river and catch a ton of flatheads under twenty pound even during the day, but no monsters. I can go to lakes and catch very few fish, but they are usually well above the 20lb mark. The only answer is to spend countless hours with the baits in the water.
    You will incresase your odds, by fishing where you know the big ones are, but I have said it before. Flatheading is more like hunting a trophy whitetail, there is a lot to be seen before you ever cross paths with the monster.

Ask Katfish and M.Magis how many hours they spent just looking at water last summer(That is when they weren't calling me at night to make fun of me for homesteading!). You would be shocked at the time it takes to "consistantly" catch good fish.

Good luck
    Rob