close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flathead spot around Dayton/Springfield ??

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Chuck P., Jun 1, 2007.

1. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Looking for some good flathead cat waters around Springfield/Dayton area. I've read that Buckeye Lake is one of the best places to go, besides the Ohio River of course.

Can anyone give some tips/spots to try out? I'm strictly C&R so I won't hurt any population of catfish anywhere I go.

I've even heard "stories" of flathead being in C.J Brown but I'm not too sure about that. I'm sure some have been dumped in over the years from a pay lake that is real close to C.J but I'm not sure there are enough in there to reproduce.

Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM if you feel the need.

2. I know of a bank spot in SW OH - check your pms.

3. Buckeye Lake is a farce when it comes to flatheads, dont waste your time there. The GMR is supposed to have a good population of them, try below some of the dams. Not real familiar with the area so I not of great help, sorry.

Jake

4. Chuck P.

Appreciate the tips and the PM ;)

Time to explore :D

5. i have yet to find a river in the area that does not hold atleast a few flatheads, try the lower mad i doubt anyone targets them there, the gmr is very good and all its bigger tribs hold fish

6. Chuck P.

Actually, Mad River and even Buck Creek has a few flatties in there. Everytime that paylake (Forrest Lake) would flood, the fish would escape into Mad River.

I've only seen 1 flattie caught in Buck Creek and I just seen a dead one about 3 days ago along the bank.

7. I caught a flathead casting cranks at CC under the full moon this week .

8. I'm not sure that I would call it a good lake for flatties but CC does have a decent population of them. Not a lot of people try for them but they do get caught there along with some good sized channels. Personlly I've caught some smallish flatheads there (none over 12 lbs. or so) along with some bigger channels. My dad hooked a bigger flatty last year when we were muskie fishing, I'd say it was over 20lbs but don't remember if we got a weight on it.
    CC is pretty underrated as a catfish lake. The creek, both up and down stream of the lake, as well as areas where feeder creeks dump into the lake would be decent spots to try if you can't find a better place to try.
    I also had some luck in the GMR but there were also lots of idiots to deal with when fishing that river.

Steve