Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

flathead in an aquarium?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewzer, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I found what appears to be a baby flathead in medium minnows this past October. I based assumption on the tail. I saved it and put it in a friends' 70 gal. aquarium where it has grown from 1.5" to over 5" in two months.
    If my pictures actually appear in this thread can anyone confirm that it is a flattie and has anyone ever raised a flattie in their aquarium?
    It gets along with the foot long oscar, convicts and parrot fish pretty well.
    It doesn't bother them and they don't bother it for the most part. I assume that will change by next summer when it gets larger but we'll see.
  2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I followed bassnpro1 advice on how to post a picture and the image didn't appear. What's up with that?
    I tried Shortdrifts method but I couldn't edit the pics to <30kb.

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

:( Thats not a Flathead but maybe a Bullhead, A Flatheads lower jaw sticks out passed the upper jaw, that is what I'm basing this on.

I wish it were though.

<>< Baitkiller ><>
  4. No it's not a Flathead.You would be able to tell when it's a Flatie.
    The head on a Flatie makes it appear almost like a shovel nose.

That looks like a Channel Cat.

We get pike mixed in with our minnows from time to time.

The cat's are very hardy and you may need to start feeding it shiners or chubs.Try not to fee them many goldfish though as the scales ar hard for them to digest.That goes for the remaing fish in the tank like the cichlid
  5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I have raised 4-5 bullheads in an aquarium before, they are a blast.eating machines. They will eventually get mad and try and eat the oscar and the other fish though.
  6. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Lewzer i put your picture in your post for you. Iam no cat expert so i don't know but its neat.
  7. If you got it with a batch of minnows, it's most likely a madtom. It's fairly common for baitshops to get some in a batch of minnows.
  8. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Hey thanks Fish4Fun! How did you do that? I thought only the poster or moderator could edit a post?
    I know it's not a channel. I seen a 3" channel and it had the forked tail of an adult.
    I thought bullhead too but the growth rate had me thinking otherwise. Can't you tell the difference by the number of spines on a dorsal fin? Or the flathead spines on the dorsal and side fins are not hard and boney but soft and pliable?
    What the heck is a madtom? Never heard of that. If it is how big does one get?
  9. Flats are definitely eating machines. They have 2 pretty big ones in the large tanks at Cabella's (was there last Saturday). The guy feeding them said the flats had eaten at least of dozen of the trout in the tank in the last month or so......
  10. The Stonecat Madtom is the largest of the madtoms and reaches a length of ten to twelve inches.
  11. Its most likely Ictalurus punctatus , the brown bullhead. Just my .02.
  12. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Madtoms dont get all that big, and at full maturity may not reach the length yours is already so i doubt its any species of madtom...

Doesn't look like a flathead at all, as someone stated, the lower part of the mouth would extend past the upper...

So that leaves Bullheads if it has a square tail... If it stays one color and doesnt get mottled (patchy colors) it's either a yellow or black... if it gets mottled its a brown... by looking at it- the length of the upper barbels would indicate brown bullhead- browns upper barbels are really long- would go past the pectoral fins if layed back, also brown juveniles can be very dark or black. yellow bullhead the middle two little barbels on lower jaw are light in color, gray to black on brown and black bullheads. it's a juvy fish and that always makes it more difficult... let it grow and it should become real apparant.

if you just hafta know now... Black 17-21 anal fin rays Brown 21-24 Yellow 24-27

i grew a small one once and it was a nightmare, tore everything up in the tank and constantly was aggressive with other fish... i would be surprised if it stayed on such good behavior : ) it was cool how mine always liked to be verticle in the tank- constantly would position itself to be straight up and down... i swear it thought it was a Pleco
  13. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Good information, thanks everyone. I'm going to try to count the anal fin spines but I that may be difficult because the thing won't sit still unless it's under a rock in the dark. It was hard enough to get a picture that was in focus. I'll let you know in a few months after it grows a bit.
  14. If it is a yellow/black belly then I agree to the aggressive nature. Mine blinded a beautiful bass that I was holding to put in a pond. He also blinded some very large bluegills. Ate every baitfish eventually in same tank. Some were quite large.If he he could get it in his mouth, it would be gone next morning. It likes to hunt when the lights go down. I don't reccommend this fish in a communal aquarium.
  15. catking

catking Banned

Looks like a brown bullhead to me..... They grow fast and yours is already bigger than alot of madtoms get.. These are indeed neat to watch. RiverRat had a small flathead he raised as I recall......... CATKING
  16. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I had a small bullhead like that one once.......As other have stated, they will destroy things and eat everything. I had crayfish with it that were the same size as it was. they would not last long. I had other small gills and a small rockbass, did not last long. I found a small snapping turtle. well it was not long and it was missing its tail and a leg.......ended up being killed too! I love those things, I think if I catch one next year I will put it into a tank again.
  17. toad

toad geriatrics supporter

After reading the link that Net posted I'll have to agree with him thats its a Stonecat Madtom.
  18. I posted that link mainly as an FYI. Personally, I don't think the growth rate of a madtom matches up well with the reported growth rate of our mystery fish.
  19. you know them 2 big Cats at cabelas in wheeling? well on the other side there was one , it looked stuck under that log standing up. well i went back like 4 or so weeks later and i think it was dead. all i saw was his head pointing down in the log.

when they opend there were lots of fish in there. I bet more than 1/3 died.
  20. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Yea Net, I agree very well could be a stonecat but it seems way too quick for it to reach the halfway point to its total mature length. For ID purposes it would be very easy to tell if it was a stonecat if we could see the top of it. stonecats have an adipose fin that is continuous to caudal fin... sorda like a bowfin where the dorsal fin just continues down the back to the caudal fin all in one...