Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my brother inlaw mostly catfish, never went for flatheads before, we were gonna head out Friday. We are in the Akron area and thinking mosquito or tappan, any advice on how to fish for them or another lake that would be better.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,641 Posts
Go catch some gills, put into live well, rig up one rod with a balloon float, and another with a bank sinker. Position yourself on the steep ledges adjacent to mud flats with weeds. The bottom rig will be on the deep side, the balloon setup on the flat. Or setup some milk jugs with glow sticks inside 80lb braid mainline and set them out

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We usually use cut bait, when we rig up live should we have two hooks in or is one good?

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,797 Posts
I just googled "bluegill rigging for catfish" and got some nice informative pictures. I'm gunna try this next time I go fishing. Already got a rod with braided line. I Know where to catch stunted gills.

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,641 Posts
Bullheads definitely are better but gills are easy to catch right there where the flatties are. If you know a pond or lake where bullhead cats are 6-12” go get those. They are hardy baits for flatheads. Just make sure you keep them pinned down or they swim into weeds and snags

·
Registered
19 Posts
Me and my brother inlaw mostly catfish, never went for flatheads before, we were gonna head out Friday. We are in the Akron area and thinking mosquito or tappan, any advice on how to fish for them or another lake that would be better.

Thanks

Any luck?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
None, ended up with an 8 pound Channel but that was it, we were using goldfish and bluegill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts