close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flathead fishing East Fork Lake

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by catking, Jun 16, 2007.

1. catking

catking Banned

Hey guys and gals...DA KING!!! rarely gets out anymore to do some cattin. Last night a couple buddies decided to go after some flatheads at EastFork lake, a lake that myself have fished for nearly 30 years.After collecting bait for a few hours down in front of DA KING'S house (East Fork River),on to the lake and a "Cannot miss" spot...:D ...Things were extremely slow for a few hours, then one fellow boated a 12 pounder, then a 20 pounder. Anybody that fishes this lake knows it can be difficult to get the cats going. Turns out that this particular night , at this spot, the flatheads didn't want goldfish, chubs, suckers or DA KIN'G favorite, green sunfish. They wanted only LARGE BLUEGILLS....:confused: ....doesn't happen often in this lake, but last night it did. Anyways, 15 fish were caught , with the smallest @ 12 pounds , and the largest a behemoth 48 pounds....OH YEA !!!!!! ...there was also some very nice channels caught, some at 15 pounds...they were caught (for the most part) on the chubs......The flatheads were holding in 8 feet of water, with TONS of logs, which is common on this lake....The lake itself is in GREAT shape , and was rather peaceful.............DA KING !!! :B

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Way to go Elvis..you are still da king!:D

3. Hey CAtking, that is one great fishing trip. I knew there were some good cats in this lake but have never really fished for them. The structure in this lake should make spawning for the flatheads fantastic. They should be pre-spawn right now I would think.

4. Nice trip. Glad you finally got out. I'm missin' it bad.

5. hey man sounds like a great trip. I have been wanting to give the flat head fishing a try there for a while. So where is this "Cannot miss spot" haha. I dont expect to you to give it up but i did have a few questions. Are you fishing near the river or the dam side of the lake. also you fishing floats or off the bottom. any help will help.

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Sounds like a fantastic night king!

I've always been curious too, floats or on the bottom?

7. catking

catking Banned

I see some old and familar faces...Flatbottle Jack !!! Thought you dropped off the face of this earth..LOL...Fishman...Mean Morone...Old Whiskers...man, good to hear from you guys...anyways, I use a rig I saw down in South Carolina...it's a Carolina slip rig with a torpedo float down by the bait. You can adjust the depth you fish by simply letting out a few feet of line every so often.( As your starting point is the bottom )Very effective....As far as where LMRcatman, remember , flatheads in lakes are a tad diffrent than rivers flatheads. They are nickname " Mudcats" for a simple reason, they prefer shallower waters, not the deep waters that bluecats like in LAKES. The flatheads will most of the time be in 8-10 feet of water , where there is plenty of cover. The secret to East Fork lake is locating some mud bottom with log jambs. They are there, just hard to find .Fishing for flatheads in EastFork down by the dam is a waste of your time , except for two spots that I know.I don't get out fishing very often anymore due to work and family, but it makes the trips I can go on much more special.... DA KING !!!

8. Hey Catking, I do enjoy your posts. Sure have missed them, but I have seen some of your posts elswhere. Good to see you back here and I hope you continue to post.

9. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Ya I basically troll the forums anymore. Far to busy to be fishing, thankfully things are going to be slowing down soon and I'll have some time to burn on the water... man can't wait to catch a flathead this year... it's been to long.

10. Man king, u got me wanting to go cattin at east fork!!! I live near the 1-25 side. And boatless it makes my fishing for cats limited. I loved your story and your very enthusiastic! I have only been fishing for cats on boat once, and that was in a little 15foot bass boat with 4 people, it was very crowded!! SO the spillway isnt very good for catfish? As you can tell im a big catfish fan :) well hope to hear from ya

11. catking

catking Banned

Hey Brad- Actually the spillway isn't to bad for some really decent channel cats.....I've caught a few flatheads in that area also in the spring time....This lake ,as you probably know, isn't geared for the bank fisherman. But there are a few spots that produce some monster flatheads from the bank.Large, live baits are the key at this lake, and a bit of patience..... THE CATKING !!!

12. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

CatKings known for his enthusiasm :D

I fished at the spillway this morning from dawn-10ish. Didn't even have a single bite. Was using 6-8" hybrid gills. Fished down there a few times, and still have yet to catch anything at that specific spot.

13. Congrats on the fish,any pics:)

14. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Sounds like a heck of a little outing there catking.

Did ya get any pics?