close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

fixing up old lures

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by trane, Jul 30, 2004.

1. I am in the process of replacing treble hooks on some old lures that I got from a friend. Some of them have screw in eye hooks instead of split rings. Does anyone know of an easy way of changing the hooks under these circumstances?

trane

2. First, get the old hook out of the way by cutting it off. You could use something like sidecutters.
    Next, using needlenose pliers, gentle open the screweye. You can twist the screweye to the side. You're just looking for enough room to get the new hook, or splitring, on.
    After the new hook is on, use the needlenose pliers to squeeze the screweye shut.
    If you break the screweyes, you can get new ones at http://www.jannsnetcraft.com

3. Warning! These lures may have value to collectors and should not change the hooks or in any way modify/refirbish the lure if you want them to retain their value to collectors.
    Usually the screw eye is not completly closed up. It seats in a cup washer to retain the hook. Simply unscrew it several turns and you can replace the hook. Others will have to be unscrewed and bent open to replace the hook.

4. Here's a picture of a recently refurbished BIG O. I gave this guy a new paintjob using spray cans, a comb, a playing card, a toothpick and a nail. New plastic eyes were also added.
    [​IMG]

5. Skooky

Skooky Fish Wizard

What kind of paint do you use to refurbish them ?

6. thanks guys....all good advice. I will check on some of them to see if they are vintage/valuable before I proceed.

trane

7. I used spray can enamel on the Big O.

Modifying old lures can be very controversial. There's several camps: leave it alone including no cleaning, repaint vs. no-repaint, hardware changes are okay vs no hardware changes. Of these camps, repaint vs no-repaint is the most vigorous dispute.

Hardware changes are fairly well accepted. The mindset is this: when the lure was being made at the factory, the worker could have installed any given screweye, diving plane, glass eye or hook or whatever. The worker would have reached into a bin and retrieved the hardware at random. So what makes the difference if the hardware is changed now? You will find some "collectors" who change out hardware in an effort to improve the lure's sellability.

The predominant authority, the NFLCC, has rules covering repainting. Basicaly, the rule says if you repaint the lure, it must be permanently marked as such. An engaged "R" is recommended. Some repainters also include their name or initials or other identifying mark. Some add the date. In spite of this rule, there is still a huge difference of opinion among the membership.

On the other hand, does one have to follow rules of an organization to which one does not belong?

Bottom line is this: if you are going to be a lure collector, become an expert in the items you collect. Be able to recognize original vs modified. Caveat emptor should be your motto.